Why become a member? ×

EMGs ordered. Time to upset an entire forum...

fretmeister

Aha!

I've found this one too. http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-27/edition-videos/dv_aguilar_tone_hammer_500_and_sl_112_cab_reviewmp4/

One more and a completely different sound - more of a DI output: http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-27/edition-videos/dv_ebs_valve_drive_pedal_reviewmp4/

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1433432734' post='2791049']
I upgraded an Ibanez 6er with three DC40's and a custom switching system. It sounded brilliant. I'm just trying to track down some video clips with it in.
[/quote]

Cool sounding - very rich and deep.
[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1433448666' post='2791235']
Just installed it.

Very nice! I need to set the pickup height but for tonight I'm happy it's in and working.

Sounds deeper than the stock pedal, less of the metallic clank - sounds more like a bass!
[/quote]
Awesome. I suppose it's no surprise - given the stock ray will tend to have that focused biting tone - the EMG is more neutral (from what I've heard).

Played it more.

Very happy with it. Ok - it doesn't get as cutting as a Ray anymore. But that cutting sound was the only thing wrong for might current use of the bass.

I have an orchestra rehearsal tomorrow morning so I'll give it a proper run then.

Rehearsed this morning.

A variety of tunes with various sized ensembles. It sits much better in the mix than the stock pickup.

I only used a little Roland Cube this morning (lots of room changes) and even with a limited amp the difference was obvious and very welcome.

The B string was always good on this bass, but it's clearer and the fundamental is stronger.

Very happy!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1433448666' post='2791235']
Sounds deeper than the stock pickup, less of the metallic clank - sounds more like a bass!
[/quote]

Glad you're enjoying it.

Fretmeister, you sound like an experienced player but I have to say that the only people I have come across who can't make a Stingray 5 sound like a bass and cant avoid a clanky sound are either extremely heavy handed or have extremely limited technique and ability. This is rather like the car driver who has previously only driven a Corsa trying a Ferrari and leaving the road - no doubt they would argue the car's faulty ............

The other myth in this thread which needs correcting concerns the Musicman forum - the only people banned from it have been the result of them behaving like t*ats - modifying basses is no problem (though not that many find the need with a Musicman) - just don't ask for advice on so doing on a manufacturers forum if you want sensible answers.

I recall Steve Pearce had a Stingray 5 with an EMG pick up he used on Madonna recordings amongst others - so the mod is well documented - similarly Guy Pratt has improved a 64 Jazz with EMG pick ups.

Would be interested how you get on. Especially with the multi pick up mod.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1433621894' post='2792635']

Glad you're enjoying it.

Fretmeister, you sound like an experienced player but I have to say that the only people I have come across who can't make a Stingray 5 sound like a bass and cant avoid a clanky sound are either extremely heavy handed or have extremely limited technique and ability. This is rather like the car driver who has previously only driven a Corsa trying a Ferrari and leaving the road - no doubt they would argue the car's faulty ............

The other myth in this thread which needs correcting concerns the Musicman forum - the only people banned from it have been the result of them behaving like t*ats - modifying basses is no problem (though not that many find the need with a Musicman) - just don't ask for advice on so doing on a manufacturers forum if you want sensible answers.

I recall Steve Pearce had a Stingray 5 with an EMG pick up he used on Madonna recordings amongst others - so the mod is well documented - similarly Guy Pratt has improved a 64 Jazz with EMG pick ups.

Would be interested how you get on. Especially with the multi pick up mod.
[/quote]

25 years playing. Not heavy handed. Hundreds of gigs played in everything from jazz to metal to classical orchestra and musical theatre. Band member at the local educational trust.

But by all means keep trying to find a reason why I'm wrong and you are right.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1433622760' post='2792644']
25 years playing. Not heavy handed. Hundreds of gigs played in everything from jazz to metal to classical orchestra and musical theatre. Band member at the local educational trust.

[/quote]

Sounds like a lot of experience . . .
My, rather inexperienced 2 cents is (for what it's worth): It doesn't matter how legendary or well liked the instrument is. Fodera, Sadowsky, Alembic, Musicman, G&L, and Wal are all known for some pretty good electronics (putting it mildly). If however the player is finding the sound unsatisfactory for whatever reason - a pickup switch is a logical step in finding a great sound or sounds. The way I view it if the instrument plays just right - another off the shelf instrument or a custom instrument may not be a desirable alternative.

From playing MM instruments briefly (never owned a real one or played someone elses for an extended period) they all had a tendency to sound focused and growly - no matter how they were played (in my hands anyway). Not a bad sound - but you shouldn't settle for a basic sound that doesn't agree with you as a player - part of the reason so much aftermarket electronics are out there - made for MM and many other bass formats (active and passive).

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1433622760' post='2792644']

[/quote]

No, on the contrary It's of no great concern to me. I am keen to understand how the new electronics change the sound of the bass though. My feeling, as a player of such basses for 35 yrs + is the construction contributes significantly to the snappiness of the sound - just playing one acoustically highlights this - compare to a precision, which is comparatively lifeless acoustically.

For interest my experience with providing a 4 string Ray for a jam session has produced some sensationally bad bass sounds from my position as a temporary audience member - particularly significantly different volume from different strings and notes. None of which has been rectified by EQ. To the extent I was worried it was a dud bass. Then suddenly a decent player came on and got a sensational, well mixed sound. Unfortunately, the Stingray is rather too good at highlighting technique deficiencies - it is not alone there are lots of basses which do this.

This is not to suggest any deficiency if technique on Fretmeister's part - if people want to change the sound of their own bass it's entirely their perogative.

I agree, it's a brilliantly put together instrument. Easy to play, and mine is lightweight - for a ray anyway.

The only thing making it less than perfect was the electronics.

I find it amusing that only EBMM disciples have such a reaction to modifications. No other brand has acolytes like that.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1433625116' post='2792663']
I find it amusing that only EBMM disciples have such a reaction to modifications. No other brand has acolytes like that.
[/quote]

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. That many people prefer them as stock is no reason why other people shouldn't choose to modify them - that they are in the minority is a fact which is indisputable. But you will find few people who will take great issue with you - that is, possibly until you come to sell the bass - hopefully having made it work for you, you won't be needing to anyway.

Edited by drTStingray

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update.

I have rehearsed and gigged with the EMG pickup and it fits in the mix much better - to the point that even the conductor has commented.

Nevertheless the position of the pickup has a big impact on the sound and I find myself wanting to mix in some signal from the currently non-existent neck pickup.

So, I have acquired an EMG 40DC and a 40J for the neck position. I don't know which one will be the permanent choice yet.

There will be routing to come.

I wish every pickup maker used a simple plug and socket system. Being able to experiment with the 40DC and the 40J without any soldering will be excellent.

I have another 2 gigs before the summer break so routing will happen after that.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1435354222' post='2808143']
Slight delay - Amazon delivered a 35DC instead of a 40DC!

Have to wait for the replacement.
[/quote]

Whoops! Close, but you'd have to have super close string spacing on a 5 for the 35 to work properly: [url="http://www.emgpickups.com/bass.html"]http://www.emgpickups.com/bass.html[/url] Says the 35 is 3.5", while the 40 is 4" .... wonder where the names came from . . . :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Those twonks at Amazon delivered another wrong pickup.
So while I'm swapping that again, I've installed a set of Hipshot Ultralites tuners. I've gone for Y shape rather than the clover design as the Y versions are the lightest.

That change has knocked off 1/2 pound and got my already light Ray to under 9 lb. it balances way better too.

• 1 month later...