Why become a member? ×

EMGs ordered. Time to upset an entire forum...

fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432758129' post='2784751']
I'm going to rip my Ray5 apart and stick in EMGs.

It's a wonderful playing bass but it needs to sound different. I may even rout it for a neck single coil too.

I may or may not tell the EBMM forum afterwards!
[/quote]
Definitely hell-bound

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1432758341' post='2784756']
Would be interested in how that sounds!

I'm also going to be in the minority here and say that the exposed pole piece pickups that are standard on Stingrays look horrendously ugly to my eye.
[/quote]

There's a good YouTube video with a guy who put DC40 in his Ray. I'm going for a MM5CS

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432804517' post='2785080']
I'd start with an outboard preamp.

Find the sound you like first, before you've made any irreversible changes.

Me? I'd just put all that money and effort into finding the right bass.
[/quote]

I am. The right bass is a 5 string stingray that weighs less than 9.5lb but sounds less like a ray and more like a modern jazz.

If you can name an off the shelf 5 string modern jazz bass with 17.5mm string spacing, with a Ray 5 profile neck then I'm all ears!

I'm going to do it in stages.

First of all a MM5CS into the standard position. That pickup comes with a simple Vol and Tone. While I don't mind thinking about a proper EQ system later my main aim is to make the Ray useable with the music trust orchestra I play with, and often a simple tone control seems to work best in that environment.

If that gets me where I want, then that will be great.

If not then I'll be looking at installing a neck pickup too. I am in 2 minds on the model. Either another MM5CS to give it that HH ray look, or a Jazz type. If I go with a Jazz version then I will get it in EMG's soapbar casing so I can easily swap with other same size pickups like their DC40 and the (whatever it's called) P bass version.

This is all about making an excellent bass a bit more versatile so I can play it more. I only play with the orchestra but that is about 4 hours per week + home practice. The easy playability of the Ray is wonderful for playing 4 hours straight, but the sound does not fit well with the other traditional instruments. No amount of EQing can change the fundamental sound of a ray.

Yes I could use a different bass, but it wouldn't be as easy to play and the sessions wouldn't be as fun.

The EMG MM5CS has just arrived from the USA.

I decided to get a duplicate scratch plate so I can load them up differently.

I might even start installing it this evening.

Stage 1 is just the MM5CS with a simple volume and tone.

Then I'll see how that goes for a few rehearsals before deciding on future additions.

I have often wondered about this sort of project. I have EMG DC40s in my Modulus 5 and I think they sound great, esp with a John East U Retro in there too.

The Stingray 5 has a superb neck, nut width, and string spacing for someone like me, and it sounds like you too. The sound is marmite. I own one, and I have learned how to live with it and use it, but I like having other instruments (P, J, the Modulus Q5) for other sounds.

I have secretly planned to get a Status Stingray 5 neck, mate it to a custom body (or a Ray5 body if I can find one cheap, on its own with no neck), and stick in 2 x EMGDC40 and a U Retro. All the benefits of my Modulus with better balance and less weight. Someday...

I'd love to hear how this turns out. Go for it.

Pete

Edited by funkle

[media]http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-28/edition-videos/dv_ampeg_v4b_100w_bass_head_reviewmp4/[/media]

Hopefully this clip will work. I'll see if I can find some more - you can ignore the rest of the video just the intro bass clip.