Why become a member? ×

## Sorted ## Recommended pickup/pre-amp upgrades for a Vintage brand S'ray?

Deedee

Hi all

All in the title really. I've just picked up a lovely natural finish Vintage brand 'stingray' type bass at a bargain price with a view to modding it (it's a 3 band, 4 knob version).

I've set it up with some new strings and it feels and plays great. I was just wondering what mods other BCers had done to the pick up and/or preamp?

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1432930620' post='2786423']
I had one of those, and I modified it to run passively. I ran each coil of the pickup to a separate volume, and stuck a second output jack on the unused pot location.
[/quote]

Interesting ........ I'm probably wanting to keep it active so it can keep up with my other basses without having to faff with the amp volume too much.

Picked up a Zolkow 3 band preamp off this very forum and it sounds amazing!

Kept the original stock pick up as that already sounded pretty good. The problem was that the original preamp didn't do a great deal (especially the treble - that really didn't do anything at all).

The preamp came already connected to 4 pots, including 1 stacked. One of the other pots was used as a blend between 2 pickups in a former life, so our guitarist and tech maestro suggested using it as a split coil/humbucker blend.

So I've finished up with volume, single coil/humbucker blend, stacked treble & bass, middle. It sounds great, loads of tone options and plenty of umph! I'd recommend the same to anybody else with an active Stingray copy looking for an upgrade.