Why become a member? ×

Cabs in shed

bluesparky

Hello all.
As my baby daughter will be very shortly moving from our room into the spare room, I'll be shifting a lot of stuff out of there which includes finding new home for my speaker cabs, which will more than likely end up in the shed.

I've got a TC Electronics RS210 cab and a RS212 cab, both with the posh TC covers too.

Should I be concerened that they'll be in there all year round with all manner of temperature and humidity variations?

The shed itself is quite posh, clean, insect & rodent free and has pretty good walls (for a shed), the previous owner used it as an office but essentially it is still a shed in the garden.

Am I being overly worried or is there genuine cause for concern?

I've actually had an Ashdown 4x10" Bentley cab out there for a couple of years but I've literally not used it in all that time so i've no idea if it's been effected by it!

Thanks all,

I wouldn't leave cabs there all year round.. but through the summer you'll be ok.
If the room isn't temp controlled I'd bring them in by October.

Crabby old cabs wouldn't worry me, but decent newish ones would be in decent temps..

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1432929973' post='2786410']
'Rodent free'? Hmmm... I've known mice to make nests inside speaker cabs, and guess where they get the paper from!
[/quote]
We've had quite a problem with mice in the house and in the other shed, but for some reason there's never been any sighting or evidence in this particular shed! (famous last words).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1432931411' post='2786431']
I kept some old Trace speakers in my shed for a while. The cones got some damp and white spots started appearing , spiders found their way in through the ports and nested inside etc. etc.

I wouldn't do it again :(
[/quote]
Ok, that's enough for me. I'll use this personal advice as evidence to the wife that they need to stay indoors!

There have been several horror stories in these pages concerning sheds or garages broken into and stuff stolen. I would rate that as a higher risk than temperature, as long as the place is clean and dry. I'd store on a palette or similar, too, not directly on the floor, and cover to keep dust out. Should be good enough nick for when the thieves break in..? <_<

Due to space limitations I've kept bass speaker cabinets in the boot of my car over several years; in an unheated conservatory, but I wouldn't use a shed, no matter how posh. Damp, rodents, poor security, searing heat.................... put a sheet over them and use them as a coffee table if all else fails!

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1432933365' post='2786464']
Based on your description I wouldn't be concerned unless the winter temperatures in the shed regularly go below freezing. That in itself isn't an issue, it's the condensation that will form when you return the gear to a warm space that will.
[/quote]
Agreed. If the temperatures in your shed are pretty stable and the atmosphere dry your OK but if its one of those sheds that heats up and down then your in trouble as you will get condensation.

I wouldn't be overly concerned as it sounds like it's a bit more than a typical garden shed. As for theft, I know we all cherish our gear but what's the odds of someone wanting to take a couple of large'ish cabs. Bulky, difficult to carry & no idea of sale value.

I have a 3m x 4m log cabin. A very high quality "shed". I have a lot of stuff in there but I wouldn't store my gear in it.

My main concern would be condensation, then there have been a lot of shed thefts around here lately and, finally, I would have to carry everything through the garden and around the side of the house for every gig. My gear is an unsightly mess stored against one wall in the front room, and it's not going anywhere.

The wife has her own "messes" stored around the house so we're quits.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432980735' post='2786712']
The wife has her own "messes" stored around the house so we're quits.
[/quote]

Must remember this post when arguing with Mrs Mert about my basses going on the living room wall of our new house :)

Edited by Merton

Check it out. If the Ashdown is OK then temporary storage gives you plan B up until about the end of October.

My other suggestion is to get rid of all your cabs and fund a couple of BF Super Compacts, for a much smaller foot print which you can leave in your daughters bedroom. She won't mind and won't even notice for a good few years.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432981408' post='2786719']
Mert, I'm not sure I'd get away with basses on the living room wall.

You're much braver than me to try that one on.
[/quote]

I'll let you know when I lose ;)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1432931700' post='2786436']
That's pretty much 3 people against the idea for the shed as a permanent home, 'nuff for me!
Thanks.
[/quote]

They would be fine inside an airtight container of some sort so long as the tempurature doesnt get too high, ideally with some silica gel packs to absorb any residual moisture.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1432931522' post='2786434']
Ok, that's enough for me. I'll use this personal advice as evidence to the wife that they need to stay indoors!
[/quote]

Put them in the back of your largest cupboard, put a white sheet over them and then pile any shoes or handbags that you can find on top of it.
Worked for me.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432981178' post='2786717']
Check it out. If the Ashdown is OK then temporary storage gives you plan B up until about the end of October.

My other suggestion is to get rid of all your cabs and fund a couple of BF Super Compacts, for a much smaller foot print which you can leave in your daughters bedroom. She won't mind and won't even notice for a good few years.
[/quote]
Great idea, but i've agreed that there'll be no more equipment coming in for a VERY long time!!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1433093229' post='2787769']
Put them in the back of your largest cupboard, put a white sheet over them and then pile any shoes or handbags that you can find on top of it.
Worked for me.
[/quote]
Ha ha! Worth a go!