Why become a member? ×

Palmer DI-09 Passive DI Box with Speaker Sim

ahpook

Got this a few days ago from DV247 - I've been fancying a change in the way I record bass after years of using the speaker simulator on my EBS Microbass II. The EBS is a great unit, but I find you have to keep the input level fairly low to stop it breaking up in a not-so-pleasant way and it can sound a little brittle (to my ears anyway).

Worth saying that I use the EBS in my home studio solely as a speaker sim and DI - all the controls are set flat.

Just so you know the set-up is: Bass -> Effects -> Bass preamp (Ampeg SVP-Pro or Trace Elliot V-Type) -> EBS -> Firewire Desk -> PC.

Doing a bit a reading up I found the cheaper end of the Palmer speaker sim range, the DI-09 which was affordable enough to try out and return if didn't fancy it.

Well, after a few days tinkering with it, I'm very impressed. It's a lot smoother-sounding than the EBS and, being passive (and capable of taking speaker-level signals) doesn't break up at all. There are three settings, Bright, Normal and Mellow - Bright's a bit much, but the Normnal and Mellow are very good - the Mellow's very good for heavier fuzzy or distorted sounds.

It sounds great on guitar too, specially taming the spikier sounds from my Fender Jaguar.

So, very pleased - a great little unit

Edited by ahpook