Why become a member? ×

Strings recommendations - Volume vs Ease (Slap and Pizz)

DanOwens

I spent my youth as a classical upright player and I'm currently planning my move from NS CR4M (with Helicores) to a Thomann 2W TN.

I've been practicing with a Manouche quartet and I'm interested in adding a bit of slap to the set (Dubouchet-style) but since we're hopefully be busking unamped I have to consider the balance between volume and ease of slapping.

What would everyone's string recommendations be to be loud, considering I'll be playing mostly pizz with some slap?

Thanks!

I don't think they're especially loud as a string, but neither are they quiet, I played Basschat's "Steve's" (from Radcliffe) Ply DB with Silver Slaps and it had a great tone & projection compared to my carved DB with Belcantos! However, they are great for pizz - and I would assume slap (I haven't played slap) and of course they are great value!

Edit: I meant to add that the volume & projection will generally come from your DB, with minor differences in strings and you certainly won't be disadvantaged with Silver Slaps!

Edited by philparker