Why become a member? ×

Hi from Salisbury

super al

Hi Basschat folk,

I'm Al and I've been playing bass (on and off) since 1987 and still no good at it! Just starting a new covers band project and do a little writing and recording as a hobby.

I also play bass for Southampton band Fly Monkeys, Fly! although we're on sabbatical and have played only 2 gigs since 2010! Most recently played both EUB and regular bass with the Midnight Booty Band playing blues, country, Woods Bros, Tom Waits and Felice Bros tunes. Great fun playing the leccie upright but left after 4 years to try something else.

For the gearheads I have a weird selection of cheap basses, a Fender Jazz MIM ('02) with quarter pound pups, a Peavey Milestone 1 with upgraded hardware and Hot pups from Basslines (my main gigging bass as it has a lovely neck, looks like a jazz bass and was dead cheap from ebay), a Marlin Slammer with Trev Wilkinson pups (my first bass and I love it for that very reason), a Squier Katana!!! and a Stagg EUB (in black of course).

Last year I bought a TC Electronic BH250 which is great but has had a couple of problems. I just love the toneprint thang though. I also have a Warwick Quad VI with W211 Pro and W115 Pro cabs which I'm hoping to sell soon as I'll never need that much gear on stage, it is huge and heavy but sounds really sweet, lots of low end (which you need unless you're Mark King!).

I'm hoping there will be plenty of advice here on what cabs to buy, I really like the TC stuff but you guys know your gear so will look forward to some sage advice.

Cheers,

Al

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1433364851' post='2790541']
Evening Al. Welcome aboard!

PS: Stay out of the For Sale board if you value your bank balance... ;)
[/quote]

I'm already hooked on the amps & cabs for sale board, gotta sell my Warwick rig before any wallet action!

Didn't know there had been a band in Salisbury since the Salisbury City Silver Band ceased in the 60s (my Grandfather was a member)? French Horns are unusual in Brass Bands (normally Tenor Horns) but my colleague used to play one in a Salvation Army Band (not in Salisbury though).

• 6 months later...

Hi Al. In 2004 I spent one month in Salisbury where I attended a language school. For me it's been one of the greatest months ever. I stayed with the Salters in Empire street and they were just perfect. Salisbury is very nice city and I hope I will return one day. Your words[color=#b22222] [i]'I've been playing bass (on and off) since 1987 and still no good at it' [/i][/color]seem to fit me as well, only I started 10 years earlier than you. The great thing is there's still enough space for us to improve. Greetings to Salisbury. Vilem