Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1433792573' post='2794048']...and invariably it picks one from your playlist Rob :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, mine does that, too..! I've complained about it so many times, but does anything get done about it..? Does it heck..! I reckon it's yet another of them there conspiracies. :ph34r:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1433792573' post='2794048']
And further I would say that the pieces that I put up and like the best ,tend to get more listens , one thing that does happen though, is that when I play a tune on soundcloud then it plays another straight after , and invariably it picks one from your playlist Rob :lol:
[/quote]

Result!!!

Don't know if it's just what I produce that causes it, but I keep getting likes from strange folks with no music under their profile, just an address like LovelyLorelei99456.com...
Weird music lovers or just dodgy?
Needless to say I haven't clicked on the links (honest!)

Yes, I was tempted to take this ^ as flattering international approval of my undeniable composing talents, but my innate modesty prefers to think that there are 'bots' out there that'll 'like' anything and everything, in the (vain, for my part...) hope that I'll respond in some way, thereby generating untold fortunes for someone sipping a long drink by a pool in some sweltering tropical clime. I totally ignore 'em, but I may be missing out on an important chunk of virtual social activity in acting this way. So be it. :mellow:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1433781838' post='2793922']
My point was simply that people do listen.
[/quote]

Yep, I agree Rob - for me that's the most rewarding thing about these challenges (and SoundCloud in general).

It's sometimes interesting to check the stats and see where people are listening from too. It's mostly Europe and North America, as you'd expect, but I've had people browsing my tracks from all over the place. Brazil was high on the list, last time I looked.

Having listened to the great submissions so far and A/B'd them against my work in progress, I've retired hurt. :) It seems that there is no category for amateur rubbish vocalists. However, I'll keep trying for future months, or will submit this month's song if I have a successful voice transplant in the next 18 days and manage to get it sounding even half decent.

It's a testament to the high quality of musicians that hang out here, give yourselves a pat on the back.

[quote name='RalphDWilson' timestamp='1434132859' post='2797087']
Having listened to the great submissions so far and A/B'd them against my work in progress, I've retired hurt. :) It seems that there is no category for amateur rubbish vocalists. However, I'll keep trying for future months, or will submit this month's song if I have a successful voice transplant in the next 18 days and manage to get it sounding even half decent.

It's a testament to the high quality of musicians that hang out here, give yourselves a pat on the back.
[/quote]

OK, that does it. Next month, whatever the subject, I'll submit a work including my own vocals. You want to know at what height the bar is set..? That'll settle it as being very firmly on the floor. Courage, my friend..! There's nothing you can present which will inspire anything but praise, for courage if for nothing else. Why, we've even had chickens clucking; last month's efforts were largely interspersed with donkeys braying..! No, it's not good enough..! We won't settle for timidity as a 'get-out' clause..! Put us all to shame with whatever you've come up with; you are quite certainly not the worst voice of the forum..! Maybe we could have a 'special' acapella seance for us all, just to get that out in the open..? Do your worst, bring it on..! It's true, I'll admit, that there are some here (not many, though..!) that can sing. That hasn't kept any of the others (no, no names..!) from entering great stuff. Anyway, our curiosity is now aroused. You must have a go, or we'll get no sleep for months...

I am sorry , but I cannot agree with your opening gambit on this , anyone who submits a composition with me in the field, has the opportunity to laugh /cringe/ or shed a little tear at the shear indulgence of 'amateur rubbish vocalist' in its purist form . :rolleyes:
The trick is to enjoy the process , and as I firmly believe , it's not my voice that is a touch toneless ...........it's everybody else's ears :lol:

On an aside , I never listen to any of the entries until mine is done...................................................... only so that when I produce my masterpiece I cannot be accused of plagarism :P

That said , Lurksalittle and her mate are not exactly hurrying with their ideas , so I might yet end up doing my own thing :huh:

I spent most of last night re-doing the vocal. With copious application of ReaTune, it sounds a little better in places. Thanks for the encouragement, although I would beg to disagree with lurksalot - it is my voice that is a touch toneless. . . . because it certainly sounds like it to my ears!

So here it is, no mystery, no reason for your curiosity to be piqued Dad3353, it's just a song, and I couldn't have your lack of sleep on my conscience :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/torturedsaints/and-so-it-comes-to-this"]https://soundcloud.com/torturedsaints/and-so-it-comes-to-this[/url]

A slightly sideways interpretation of the photo, it has to be said, but partially explained on the soundcloud page.

[quote name='RalphDWilson' timestamp='1434175357' post='2797311']
I spent most of last night re-doing the vocal. With copious application of ReaTune, it sounds a little better in places. Thanks for the encouragement, although I would beg to disagree with lurksalot - it is my voice that is a touch toneless. . . . because it certainly sounds like it to my ears!

So here it is, no mystery, no reason for your curiosity to be piqued Dad3353, it's just a song, and I couldn't have your lack of sleep on my conscience :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/torturedsaints/and-so-it-comes-to-this"]https://soundcloud.c...t-comes-to-this[/url]

A slightly sideways interpretation of the photo, it has to be said, but partially explained on the soundcloud page.
[/quote]

Glad you took the advice from our esteemed and learned colleagues and entered......will have a proper listen later :)

Edited by fingers211

[url="https://soundcloud.com/torturedsaints/and-so-it-comes-to-this"]https://soundcloud.com/torturedsaints/and-so-it-comes-to-this[/url]

[/quote]
That was beautiful. I rarely play a song the whole way through on first listen. I usually listen to the intro skip to chorus etc etc so I can get a feel for the composition and when casting my vote I return and have a more in depth listen from a critical PoV. This however I listened to from start to finish. It's got soul baby. It's honest and raw and I loved it. It's got one of my votes so far.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/torturedsaints/and-so-it-comes-to-this"]https://soundcloud.c...t-comes-to-this[/url]

[/quote]

Hey..! Deep stuff there..! As 'the boy', I had to listen right through; it's enthralling. The singing..? We've heard far 'rougher' renderings from Radiohead; you've no need to blush at all. Yes, you're firmly up there with the rest of us, jostling for a place on the podium. My curiosity has been assuaged; I can finally slide into Morphées open arms. Thanks, if only for that. ;)

I've decided not to subject y'all to my "singing" this month...
However, I was fiddling about (as you do) and discovered a whale noise.
As the piccy had some large mouths in it I felt it would be rude not to do something to help those noble creatures.
After all, there's nowt a whale likes better than a guitar that sounds a bit like one of his mates with a funky backing.
I give you "Say 'Aaah'"

http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/say-aaah

Edited by Leonard Smalls

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1434299277' post='2798443']...
I give you "Say 'Aaah'"...
[/quote]

Aaah..! A 'Lenny' track with a key..! Refreshing, unexpected, almost a shock..! Still, has animal content, so tradition is respected. Raunchy stuff; I even tapped my toe. I liked the cowbell. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434300445' post='2798454']
Aaah..! A 'Lenny' track with a key..! Refreshing, unexpected, almost a shock..! Still, has animal content, so tradition is respected. Raunchy stuff; I even tapped my toe. I liked the cowbell. B)
[/quote]

Ta!
And it's not a cowbell, it's a dugong bell...
:D

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1434191763' post='2797461']
That was beautiful. I rarely play a song the whole way through on first listen. I usually listen to the intro skip to chorus etc etc so I can get a feel for the composition and when casting my vote I return and have a more in depth listen from a critical PoV. This however I listened to from start to finish. It's got soul baby. It's honest and raw and I loved it. It's got one of my votes so far.
[/quote]
*blushing*. Thanks!
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434199682' post='2797555']
Hey..! Deep stuff there..! As 'the boy', I had to listen right through; it's enthralling. The singing..? We've heard far 'rougher' renderings from Radiohead; you've no need to blush at all. Yes, you're firmly up there with the rest of us, jostling for a place on the podium. My curiosity has been assuaged; I can finally slide into Morphées open arms. Thanks, if only for that. ;)
[/quote]
Glad you got to sleep Dad!
Thanks for the kind words. Perhaps next month I'll do an instrumental like Bilbo. :-)

I have had real problems with this one , I had an idea but Lurksalittle had a brilliant idea , but alas it came to nought , but worse than that , I had set the musical scene for her idea and was left to do something with it. I was on verge of throwing the towel in this month as it was so out of my depth, I was getting nowhere and it was really getting me down. I just had one last go at it this evening and have seen a bit of light , so it is game on again .
This one is very odd , normally I cobble something up and have a bit of fun , this has felt like hard work , it could be the subject matter of course , but at least I am moving forward with it again :rolleyes:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1434743119' post='2802497']...but at least I am moving forward with it again :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Courage, mon brave..! Sounds a bit like the little train we had as a subject a while back, struggling over a mountain...
"I [i]think [/i]I can, I [i]think [/i]I can..." etc. He wins through in the end, of course, as will you..! B)

Cheers Dad

Well I don't think I can give it much more, and I have a few more things to do this month , so it will be as it will be ....

Lawyer https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/lawyer

I hope you enjoy ,

PS this is the radio edit :lol: there is one naughty word which has had a few db cut so as not to prove to rude :rolleyes: