Why become a member? ×

How do you DI an Orange Micro Terror

MarkG3

I got one of these bad boys a while ago for my g***ar playing and mostly just play through headphones but now want to try something.

How would I DI this amp? Doesn't have the function on it, I've heard and read about people doing something with the headphones socket but with mixed results, so are there other options?

I know there are DI boxes and have seen a behringer one with a 412 simulator on it, how would I use this, plug the micro terror into the DI box via the speaker out then into my mixer?

Any ideas would be great :)

Edited by Mark_88MPH

Hi mark
a di box will have 2 jack inputs and 1 xlr out
you plug your bass guitar into one of the jack sockets on the di
the other jack socket on the di goes to your bass amp input
the xlr (mic lead) output goes to your mixer or whatever you are di into
most di's also have a ground lift and decibels control to adjust the signal strength
and eliminate any nasty humming noises etc

regards
jay

Edited by jay bass

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1433196608' post='2788905']
the speaker out would be to much for the di, would be at risk of breaking something, you'd have to get a di that has speaker in and out on it so it goes inbetween the head and cab, then you'll get the crunch from the terror.

andy
[/quote]
I've done that with one of these http://www.mtraudio.com/user_guides_current_di2&3.htm which worked a treat. As the guide says, use the -40db attenuation when you feed it a speaker level input. I gigged many times with it and had no problems from either of our usual sound guys. They're about £55 from guitarguitar of it helps.

Edited to add link http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/11072809403312

Edited by stevebasshead

• 8 years later...

Hi 

Have a micro dark terror. I want to use the amp and speaker as normal and DI out to an input on my audient interface just to record a dry signal to reamp with amp and cab sims.. 

T h e micro dark is OK on its own via DI  out, the Audient is OK on its own via  Di out.. As soon as I connect BOTH I get a swirling buzzing noise. Ground lift doesn't help. 

I tried two different DI boxes different cables etc. The only thing that stops the noise is to connect a different amp head... 

I've referred this to Orange... UK 

Any thoughts?? 

17 hours ago, George52 said:

Hi 

Have a micro dark terror. I want to use the amp and speaker as normal and DI out to an input on my audient interface just to record a dry signal to reamp with amp and cab sims.. 

T h e micro dark is OK on its own via DI  out, the Audient is OK on its own via  Di out.. As soon as I connect BOTH I get a swirling buzzing noise. Ground lift doesn't help. 

I tried two different DI boxes different cables etc. The only thing that stops the noise is to connect a different amp head... 

I've referred this to Orange... UK 

Any thoughts?? 

how do you have this connected? the dark terror doesn't have a Di output so are you using the effects send?

to get a true dry signal the Di needs to be before the amp, so guitar into Di, then the link on the Di out to the amp and the XLR output on the Di to your interface. 

Matt

Couple of differences between the Micro Terror and the Micro Dark Terror. 

The Micro Dark Terror has an analog cab sim on the headphone output which is always in circuit. The standard Micro Terror does not have cab sim, so it can sound pretty harsh on headphones or if you record from the headphone output. 

You won't get a "Dry" signal from any of the outputs. 

The speaker output is actually a BRIDGED output. The amps use an STA540 chip for the 'power amp' section. The speaker output isn't connected to ground like it is on most typical guitar amps, but carries what you might call a hot and cold signal to a speakers positive and negative terminals. In something like a fender champ, the negative speaker terminal is grounded to the chassis of the amp and the positive terminal is connected to the signal. In the Micro Terror amps, the speaker cable is carrying out-of-phase signals between tip & sleeve on the output. If you plug the speaker cable into a device which grounds the sleeve of the speaker cable jack plug, you'll be dumping signal to ground in whatever you've plugged the amp into, which may not be ideal. 

Incidentally, the standard Micro Terror has no FX Loop, but VERY first batch of early Micro Darks has a resistor missing from the FX loop that stops the loop from popping with certain pedals by providing a ground reference. I don't know if the PCB was updated but I added HUNDREDS of resistors to micro terrors myself when I worked at orange. I actually did a couple of things with the micro dark before and on its release. 

• Like 1