Why become a member? ×

Advice wanted around Precision Basses

ballstomonty

A few weeks ago I picked up a really great Westfield P bass off ebay for £60. There are some amazing bargains out there if you look.

I bought this one as a project and couldn't convince myself of much benefit in doing much to it.

Thanks again for all the advice. Sound to me is more important than looks our band looks authentic due to lights,lasers and projections more than having right looking gear. Our drummers kit is nothing like nick masons for example.

Just seen this on gumtree and I've asked seller for more photos serial number. At that price this baby could be the one.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-classic-series-50-s-precision-bass-black-maple-rrp-£909-/1120196751

If it's genuine ad I'll be very pleased with this.

[quote name='ballstomonty' timestamp='1433946629' post='2795336']
Thanks again for all the advice. Sound to me is more important than looks our band looks authentic due to lights,lasers and projections more than having right looking gear. Our drummers kit is nothing like nick masons for example.

Just seen this on gumtree and I've asked seller for more photos serial number. At that price this baby could be the one.

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-classic-series-50-s-precision-bass-black-maple-rrp-£909-/1120196751"]http://www.gumtree.c...909-/1120196751[/url]

If it's genuine ad I'll be very pleased with this.
[/quote]

That's a steal! Take it, take it before I do as I am planning a trip to Manchester! :lol:

I love the Classic 50 Precisions. :)

Think I've lost out. Seller was initially enthusiastic and said he'd reserve it for me if I was sure I could realistically buy it on Friday.

Replied back saying no problem asking for address and asking if I needed to bring gig bag and now no response. I think someone has made him a better offer.

My answer to the same conundrum was to buy a used black/maple Mex P bass & mod it. It is more of a RW vibe than out & out copy, but I'm pleased with it. Came in at around the budget you mention, but of course you have to find the initial instrument for sale first! The link in my sig takes you to a list of the parts I used, which were easily obtainable.

Edited by Wilco

In does indeed sound most excellent! Mind control successfully defended - this one's staying with me! Lol

TBH, it's become a bit of a labour of love. I've done a lot of work on the frets too, both levelling & rounding the ends - the action & playability is really very nice as a result.

I'm sure you'll find something suitable soon enough.

[quote name='ballstomonty' timestamp='1434095158' post='2796542']
Lucky I checked my spam mail today. My gumtree replies have gone there. The guys reserved the 50s precision for me! Going to pick it up today!
[/quote]

great!

don't forget to report back... with pictures!!!!!!! :)

[quote name='ballstomonty' timestamp='1434121575' post='2796940']
Well it's back home after a 3 hour round trip.
[/quote]

Looking good! I claim the insanity prize though - an 8-hour round trip to collect my Marathon. :)
Won't be doing that again!

Well it's back home after a 3 hour round trip. Sound great. Desperately needs a set up, clean and a new set of strings so it's off down the local shop as with one year old baby I don't get time for such things.
[/quote]

You survived a trip to Leigh! :) I live 5 mins from there. Nice bass.

Well it's back home after a 3 hour round trip. Sound great. Desperately needs a set up, clean and a new set of strings so it's off down the local shop as with one year old baby I don't get time for such things.
[/quote]
I hear that ...

Get to pick it up this afternoon so it's ready for rehearsal on Wednesday and all things being well should be using it at our two gigs at the Belgrade Theatre Coventry this weekend. Being strung with Roto Jazz 77 flats. Will post some audio from the gig next week to see how it's faired.

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks in and two gigs under my belt I love my 50s precision. It is just right for the 70s floyd stuff and so nice to play.

[URL=http://s304.photobucket.com/user/Michael_Ridley-Dash/media/IMG_0085_zpsa4e4c0e1.png.html][IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/Michael_Ridley-Dash/IMG_0085_zpsa4e4c0e1.png[/IMG][/URL]

Flats with a pick with a trebly tone is a new one for me with a P bass but I love the sound.

Nice to have a passive bass where you can dig in been playing actives for so long forgot that you can really give a p bass some welly

Cheers for all the advice it was dead helpful and I certainly wouldn't have driven and got it without advice from the forum so thanks!

Edited by ballstomonty