Why become a member? ×

Advice wanted around Precision Basses

ballstomonty

Hi Chaps

Wondered if I could get some advice re which fender precision to purchase.

I play in a pink floyd tribute who gig all over the UK and haven't had the funds to invest in a new bass until recently.

Obviously a P bass with a maple fingerboard is the way to go.

I currently mostly use my Musicman Stingray which I LOVE to death it just feels so right to play but sound wise for that classic roger waters sound it has to be a p bass with flats on a maple fingerboard.

My budget is around 600ish

Of course there is the MIM roger waters sig but from reviews and listening to tests online although it looks like a good bass I don't think the pick up (quarter pounder) sound is the classic P Bass sound I'm after.
Would a 50s MIM p bass be better?
I've heard good things about MIJ 57 reissues and there is a duck Dunn model for sale second hand near me in budget (unfortunately modded with an active humbucker pick up that I'd never use)

I've also seen this 2007 MIA five string for £695

http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/usafender5stringp.htm

This appeals as I am using a separate five string (Ibanez BTB775pb) at present so alongside a Frakenfender J Davey fretless. I have three basses onstage be nice to only need two.

What do you chaps think?

Any advice gratefully received!

Mike

Well re the Roger Waters Sig, I was surprised when I saw it a Quarter Pounder Pickup as wasn`t what I`d expect for Pink Floyd tones - bit modern sounding. Anyway, the Classic 50s is a great bass, wide fretboard but not too much so, and the MIJs are very nice basses - can be a tad weak on pickups on some but not to the point of it being a problem, weaker than some others is probably a better way to describe them.

However given that you already play a 5-string, that US Fender at Classic & Cool looks to be very good value. Useful as well if any of the PF songs are in dropped tunings, plus the point about taking less basses out. And Mark at C&C is a very good guy to deal with by all accounts so I think in your position I`d be looking that way. £695 for a US Fender is about the going rate on here - sometimes more - so getting one from a retailer, albeit 2nd hand, at that price is a good deal.

The only slight negative, for a tribute band, if really going for "the look" well that Precision isn`t the right colour scheme. If you really want the right look, a Mexican Standard Precision would do you well. I`ve played a lot of gigs recently where the bassists - some in named bands - have used MIM Precisions and their tone was amazing. The post 2008 ones are very good, and Thomann are doing them at around £470 at preent.

Thanks that's good advice.

The look isn't too important as the band is more about sound than having the right looking instrument.

I used to play a MIM but that was from 1995 I think. I loved it at the time but it has developed neck and pick up problems over the years and is now neglected in my cupboard. It has a rosewood fingerboard anyway. Be interesting to try a newer MIM before shelling out more on a MIA. Glad you agree about Roger Waters Sig specs just don't seem right for 70s sound.

Well in that case I`d probably go for that 5-string then - I can`t see a better deal coming along than that. Yes the MIMs are great but buying new if you decide to sell on you`ll lose money - unlikely to with the fiver.

Another thing to think of is maybe a new maple neck and pickup for your current MIM? Fender are doing some really nice vintage pickups at the moment, and an Allparts neck you could source quite easily.

As a very satisfied customer who has bought and sold several instruments through Classic & Cool, I can confirm Mark is a very lovely chap who will give you nothing but good advice, a great deal and superlative customer service. An email in his direction certainly won't hurt. :) He'll discuss your bass-playing needs all day long, but won't put you under any pressure to purchase.

[email="Mark%20Morgan-Richards%20<[email protected]>"]Mark Morgan-Richards <[email protected]>[/email]

Edited by discreet

Another, cheaper option could be to go for one of the Vintage V4 Tony Butler P's and put some Roto flats on.
Alot of bass for little money:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-V4-Tony-Butler-Live-Signature-Bass-Black/T0Y?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Avid&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=*All+Products.+Avid&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=37618d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=120825695599&gclid=CPaei9_X9MUCFWnItAod3VoA9w

...or still within your budget, the Squier Matt Freeman:
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/squier_matt_freeman_precision_bass_black.asp?gclid=COn66e_Z9MUCFaISwwod_ZAARQ

That USA P5 looks to be a cracking deal though!...

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1433399718' post='2790680']

This. Then change the pickup.
[/quote]

Should you also check the neck profile first too?
Roger Waters would have originally had a good,solid vintage neck. (On the bass that is) This affects the tone and gives a good deep tone.

Knowing modern manufacturing processes, you could well find the tribute Sig basses will simply have a modern, thin neck that simply looks right from a marketing perspective.

Edited by Grangur

Andy Bown played a standard P bass when he replaced RW for the Wall gigs. And as Pink Floyd have used Guy Pratt and his Jazz basses since forever I'm not sure using the type of bass Roger Waters played really matters to any degree.

If your budget is very constrained I'd check out some of the Squier basses.

If you could add a little more to the pot, you could also look at Fender American Standard's for P or J basses . Very nice 4 and 5 string passive basses. I don't know Fender P5's but the AM Std Jazz V's sound pretty good and are dead easy to play. Again the proviso is find a good one.

Lakland basses are also a good alternative to a Fender.

From what I've read and looked into online and in books its the combination of rotosound flats a bright maple fingerboard and playing with a pick that produces the classic RW clanky sound on the seventies live shows. I could be wrong though!

Thanks for all the advice. I've been driving myself mad with what to get. The major problem is can look at lots of basses online but trying things out is a different matter as my local shop in Lichfield has no fenders other than squires and even pmt in Birmingham are unlikely to have a Precision set with flats for me to experiment with.
Given what people have said I'll definitely get in contact with classic and cool guitars as the stuff seems well priced for second hand. Much better value than Bass Direct which is my closest large bass shop.

Edited by ballstomonty

This is a completely different option but what about a maple neck and a new pickup for the mex precision you have in the cupboard? the Fender basses are the easiest to get parts for and a breeze to work on.

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1433496061' post='2791474'] This is a completely different option but what about a maple neck and a new pickup for the mex precision you have in the cupboard? the Fender basses are the easiest to get parts for and a breeze to work on. Matt [/quote]

That's what I'd do. I once had a Mex P that I put a Mighty Mighty maple neck on and fitted a Fender Original 60s pup. Was clank central.

The mij 57 reissue bass you mentioned would be my choice of the lot. And indeed it is- i have one. Great bass, not just at this price point. I upgraded mine with a bareknuckle pickup but fundamentally they're very good basses. Classic P bass sound.

However specific to your gig in the floyd band, the signature will look more authentic, but i believe it won't sound better. What's more important to you?

Project bass?

Buy body and neck off ebay and then add components as you like?

Lots of black bodies available from £50 to £200 depending on wood etc. Select a neck of your choice and then enjoy creating your version of Walters bass. I like someone's idea of bare knuckle pickups too.

Davo