Why become a member? ×

NBD - Maruszczyk Jake PJ... Fender / Sandberg / Lakland killer?

wateroftyne

That's one sweet looking/sounding bass! The more I see, hear and try out Maruszcyzk stuff, the more I'm drifting to one as my next bass... Problem is when compared to other manufacturers is there's so many available options (even just from stock) at prices that make Fender Mexican look expensive that it's a hard job trying to decide on what way to jump.

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous looking and sounding bass. Funny I have just put up a post looking for some insights into any comparisons between the very same Lakland Skyline and these basses.
If you have any that would be great :)

As a matter of interest what neck radius and string spacings did you go for in the end?

Thanks
Graham

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1440887795' post='2854615']
Gorgeous looking and sounding bass. Funny I have just put up a post looking for some insights into any comparisons between the very same Lakland Skyline and these basses.
If you have any that would be great :)

As a matter of interest what neck radius and string spacings did you go for in the end?

Thanks
Graham
[/quote]

He copied the neck of my favourite '71P: 42mm nut, 22mm thickness front-to-back at the 1st fret. I didn't specify the string spacing or the radius... it just came out spot-on.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1440929457' post='2854753']
He copied the neck of my favourite '71P: 42mm nut, 22mm thickness front-to-back at the 1st fret. I didn't specify the string spacing or the radius... it just came out spot-on.
[/quote]

Great, thanks. Love the "it just came out spot-on"!
It's giving me lots of confidence with these basses, just that there is now soooooo.... much choice on the website :)

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1440939382' post='2854836']
It's giving me lots of confidence with these basses, just that there is now soooooo.... much choice on the website :)
[/quote]

The main thing here is that given each bass is made by hand, the website serves more as a collection of examples rather than options in the traditional sense. I found that emailing Adrian was very helpful as he offered me some great insight into the best pick-up/electronics etc given what I was after in terms of end result.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1441021041' post='2855352']
The main thing here is that given each bass is made by hand, the website serves more as a collection of examples rather than options in the traditional sense. I found that emailing Adrian was very helpful as he offered me some great insight into the best pick-up/electronics etc given what I was after in terms of end result.
[/quote]

Thanks James. I have emailed Adrian and at the moment trying the decide on the best PUP set up and type. I'm trying to decide between a Split Coil (Neck) w/ J Single Coil in bridge (like wateroftyne's) or Split Coil (Neck) with Split able Humbucker in the the bridge!!
Then add to that the make of Pickups.

Did you go for Delano, Haussell or Maruszczyk in the end?

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1440939382' post='2854836']
Great, thanks. Love the "it just came out spot-on"!
[/quote]

You should check out some of the stuff Adrian puts up on the Facebook page then! Whilst the website is some great eye-candy, the FB has some really great interpretations following on from the stock basses for other clients (and sometimes some sound samples as well).

[quote name='SeanNeedham' timestamp='1441040557' post='2855581']
You should check out some of the stuff Adrian puts up on the Facebook page then! Whilst the website is some great eye-candy, the FB has some really great interpretations following on from the stock basses for other clients (and sometimes some sound samples as well).
[/quote]

Good call, will do!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1441143052' post='2856496']
Silly me... I tightened the jack socket by hand when I was in a hurry, and the whole jack spun and pulled a wire off in the cavity. What a cloon.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the cavity, while I was in there. Tidy, eh?

[/quote]

Now that is clean cavity - man!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441183269' post='2856640']
Think I might pay the deposit on mine this week, struggling on fingerboard/scratchplate combinations on a gold body though :-/

Si
[/quote]

Nice!
I wish I was only down to fingerboard/ scratchplate combos' (me head is melted as they say over here :) )
I've watched so many Public Peace bass demo's on Youtube that last night I couldn't sleep for Adrians' basslines going over and over in my head, not to mention the soon to become catchphrase of "and that's the sound!" :D Great!

Anyhow Si - what are you going to go for Jake or Elwood??

Edited by mal2404

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441183269' post='2856640']
Think I might pay the deposit on mine this week, struggling on fingerboard/scratchplate combinations on a gold body though :-/

Si
[/quote]

Rosewood and vintage, minty? scratchlate might look good?
I would go pau ferro and black personally...

Eude

So i'll be going for a Jake.
If you look at the old Fender Shoreline Gold colour, it tends to be a more greeny gold (possibly because of the aged lacquer), whereas the Maru Shoreline Gold is more orange. With this in mind, when I do the squinty eye/tilt head test, I can't really imagine a mint green/parchment/vintage white scratch plate going with the Maru gold.
As such, like Eude, I am leaning towards a black scrratchplate.
With that in mind, I was also leaning towards a Pau Ferro fingerboard, but I wondered whether Ebony would be a nicer match to the rest of the ensemble?!
I'm also now thinking about the JJ humbucker arrangement for the bridge pickup over the single J....hmmmmmmmm

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441202065' post='2856888']
If you look at the old Fender Shoreline Gold colour, it tends to be a more greeny gold (possibly because of the aged lacquer), whereas the Maru shoreline gold is more orange. With this in mind, when I do the squinty eye/tilt head test, I can't really imagine a mint green/parchment/vintage white scratch plate going with the Maru gold.
Now, I was also leaning towards a Pau Ferro fingerboard, but I wondered whether Ebony would be a nicer match to the rest of the ensemble?!
I'm also not thinking about the JJ arrangement for the bridge pickup over the single J....hmmmmmmmm

Si
[/quote]

FWIW, when I was sorting my order with Adrian, he sent me a few examples of 3TSBs they'd done previously. I was able to point out one that nailed the 70s 3TSB I prefer.

I'm guessing the option would be there to be pretty specific about the exact shade of Shoreline, too..?

Sounds like it's going to be a beaut.

I'm actually thinking about going for another in the future. Maybe shoreline, charcoal or LPB... yum.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441202065' post='2856888']
If you look at the old Fender Shoreline Gold colour, it tends to be a more greeny gold (possibly because of the aged lacquer), whereas the Maru Shoreline Gold is more orange. With this in mind, when I do the squinty eye/tilt head test, I can't really imagine a mint green/parchment/vintage white scratch plate going with the Maru gold.
With that in mind, I was also leaning towards a Pau Ferro fingerboard, but I wondered whether Ebony would be a nicer match to the rest of the ensemble?!
I'm also now thinking about the JJ humbucker arrangement for the bridge pickup over the single J....hmmmmmmmm

Si
[/quote]

She'll be a looker :) No doubt about it.
I think I'll go the JJ Humbucker too.
But I better up the ante in the finish dept are mine might end up been the "plain looking one" of the group ;)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1441202281' post='2856893']
FWIW, when I was sorting my order with Adrian, he sent me a few examples of 3TSBs they'd done previously. I was able to point out one that nailed the 70s 3TSB I prefer.

I'm guessing the option would be there to be pretty specific about the exact shade of Shoreline, too..?

Sounds like it's going to be a beaut.

I'm actually thinking about going for another in the future. Maybe shoreline, charcoal or LPB... yum.
[/quote]

He has sent me some photo examples of Creme & Vintage White scratchplate, but again, I can't quite imagine them on the Gold colour they do.
When I mentioned Shoreline, he sent me a photo of a gold bass and said "this is our Shoreline", I don't think I want to bother him (or myself) with talking about a change in shade here or a shade there, it seems a moot point when taking it that far.
I think I'll stick with the black scratchplate on gold (bucking the trend of their pearl white on gold), just need to decide on Pau Ferro or Ebony, J vs JJ and then I'm done :)

Si

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1441231978' post='2857204']

Si, sorry for the dumb question but is there a downside to the JJ as a humbucker over the J single coil?

Graham
[/quote]

Not a dumb question at all, on the face of It there's no downside really, especially as it's switchable between the two. In my head it was an aesthetic thing, it's a much chunkier pickup, and a cost thing.
As it happens, I'm not bothered about the aesthetic, and it's no extra cost to have JJ instead of J.
So wth that said, I have a finished spec :)

Si