Why become a member? ×

NBD - Maruszczyk Jake PJ... Fender / Sandberg / Lakland killer?

wateroftyne

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441236260' post='2857230']
Not a dumb question at all, on the face of It there's no downside really, especially as it's switchable between the two. In my head it was an aesthetic thing, it's a much chunkier pickup, and a cost thing.
As it happens, I'm not bothered about the aesthetic, and it's no extra cost to have JJ instead of J.
So wth that said, I have a finished spec :)

Si
[/quote]

I really love the look of the JJ - it gives the bass a little bit of an unusual appearance and looks pretty neat. Looking forward to seeing your finished bass when it arrives!

Hi there,

I don't wanna hijack the Thread, but it becomes a "Maruszczyk-Thread" more and more...All I can say is, Adrian who lives about 35km fom my Home is a Top Guy. And it's real Fun to visit and deal with him in his Home/Showroom. A great Musician. Every Year in June he does a big Barbecue, with lots of Live Music and so on in his Home. Big Fun. For next Year I am planning to get myself a 5-String Custom PJ for my 50 Birthday. Oh...did I mention that my Elwood 5a sounds and plays like a Dream? I think the Price/Value Thing on these Basses is outstanding.

[url="http://abload.de/image.php?img=20150818-p8180026ykkdu.jpg"][/url]

Edited by AREA

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441236260' post='2857230']
Not a dumb question at all, on the face of It there's no downside really, especially as it's switchable between the two. In my head it was an aesthetic thing, it's a much chunkier pickup, and a cost thing.
As it happens, I'm not bothered about the aesthetic, and it's no extra cost to have JJ instead of J.
So wth that said, I have a finished spec :)

Si
[/quote]

Nice one!
Potential curveball time..................
Although a 5 string is used in the demo, did you consider the J/P/J set up like in this Jake: [url="http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/5-string/1402-jake-5p-black150164"]http://www.public-pe...-5p-black150164[/url] ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KprsqMRb0wY

??

Edited by mal2404

I don't think I'd consider the JPJ configuration, I much prefer a P in the neck position than a J. The JJ in the bridge should prove to be versatile though.

I'm now going back over the fingerboard wood choice.......the trouble is it's difficult to decide based on photos. WoTs fingerboard looks nice, fairly dark rosewood, but some on the website look pretty washed out, again may be bad lighting. Adrian forwarded me a photo of a bass with an ebony board, but it looks more slate grey than black with subtle ebony grain (see attachment), possibly just the lighting though?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441289104' post='2857591']
I don't think I'd consider the JPJ configuration, I much prefer a P in the neck position than a J. The JJ in the bridge should prove to be versatile though.

I'm now going back over the fingerboard wood choice.......the trouble is it's difficult to decide based on photos. WoTs fingerboard looks nice, fairly dark rosewood, but some on the website look pretty washed out, again may be bad lighting. Adrian forwarded me a photo of a bass with an ebony board, but it looks more slate grey than black with subtle ebony grain (see attachment), possibly just the lighting though?

Si
[/quote]

Surely you can specify what kind of colour of fingerboard you'd like, or at least a ball park?
Adrian seems very happy to do his best to meet every requirement you might have, so if you want a darker coloured board like WOT's, just ask nicely ;)
I think you should perhaps consider how the board will sound, if you want something that sounds like a more fender vintagey style instrument, ebony probably isn't a good idea.

Eude

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441289104' post='2857591']

Si
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree the more I think about it.
There should be more than enough in terms of tone with the P / JJ set up.
The more I look at it, visually it looks a little "busy" to my eye in a J/PJ configuration.

I noticed the discrepancies between the Rosewood fingerboards on the website.
They seem to be a little more consistent on the Facebook page from my initial scans.
So I'm guessing that this is simply photo/ lighting as they also differ from the video to the photos on the website.
At this point I'm going with the Rosewood as I'm most familiar with them (and will just mention the colour tones to Adrian in the specification process)

See you on the other side fella! :)

Graham

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1441289945' post='2857608']
Surely you can specify what kind of colour of fingerboard you'd like, or at least a ball park?
Adrian seems very happy to do his best to meet every requirement you might have, so if you want a darker coloured board like WOT's, just ask nicely ;)
I think you should perhaps consider how the board will sound, if you want something that sounds like a more fender vintagey style instrument, ebony probably isn't a good idea.

Eude
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1441287504' post='2857571']
Charic - Is an Ebony Fretboard brighter tone-wise than a Rosewood?
All my previous basses have had Rosewood boards so this is my only point of reference!

Thanks a mil.
[/quote]
]

I think Ebony is supposed to be the brighter of the two, personally if it was my bass I would probably specify lacquered ebony though as I prefer lacquered fingerboards. They just seem to have an extra clarity to them :)

From what I understand, Rosewood and Ebony are opposite ends of the Bright & Dense spectrum, with Pau Ferro sitting somewhere in the middle.
If I can specify a dark Rosewood, that would be great, waiting for Adrian.
He's a saint if he has to deal with even half the emails I've sent with each customer!!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441292219' post='2857649']
From what I understand, Rosewood and Ebony are opposite ends of the Bright & Dense spectrum, with Pau Ferro sitting somewhere in the middle.
He's a saint if he has to deal with even half the emails I've sent with each customer!!

Si
[/quote]

Might have been easier and cost less in terms of his time to hire a bus and stick us all on it and have us driven there........!?
Now that I think of it...................... Beep Beep ! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1441292219' post='2857649']

Si
[/quote]

Pau Ferro for me, I REALLY like it B)

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1442839031' post='2869857']
I'm still all over mine like a rash. Here's a some snippets of a few songs from a gig with my fun covers band at the weekend.

SHOCK: I'm using rounds. And BIGGER SHOCK: Sometimes a pick.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjGeQkVvOc[/media]
[/quote]Sounding really good both with and without the pick.

Thanks for the link to this thread wateroftyne
I can't believe just how stunning that bass of yours is

It has everything, it's a P with PJ pickups
a stunning block inlaid neck, great colour, great colour pickguard
sounds fab too :)

I wish I could give one of these a try...
Anyone in / near South Wales got one of these?
pretty please? lol

Cheers
Marc

• 3 weeks later...

That is such a nice bass! Maruszczyk are doing something right! Just a quick one because I can't seem to find the answer anywhere; are the dimensions of the Maruszczyk jake the same dimensions as a standard p bass? I am hoping to get one but a standard precision is slightly big for my size and I have a condition that limits movement in my left hand. My other bass is Fender jazz American special. The body is fine and the neck is superb on that for example.

[quote name='JoeTomW' timestamp='1444613660' post='2884529']
That is such a nice bass! Maruszczyk are doing something right! Just a quick one because I can't seem to find the answer anywhere; are the dimensions of the Maruszczyk jake the same dimensions as a standard p bass? I am hoping to get one but a standard precision is slightly big for my size and I have a condition that limits movement in my left hand. My other bass is Fender jazz American special. The body is fine and the neck is superb on that for example.
[/quote]

You can pretty much spec what you like - I did.