Why become a member? ×

2 part FX Pedal Board - is this a bonkers idea?

Edenburgh

Right - context first : I play with two bands
- setup for one band requires that all I have is Tuner/Compressor/Pre-Amp(DI)
- setup for the other would allow me to make use of the above plus POG, Muff PI, Env Filter, Chorus

It's a pain the neck to have to keep moving pedals between boards for different setups. It's also too much stuff to carry a board with 4 extra pedals to every single gig (sometimes there just isn't the floorspace).

So I was thinking - has anybody ever had a two-stage modular approach to their FX pedal boards?

What I mean is - one board for the 'bare bones' (Tuner/Comp/DI) and have another board for the 'extras' that can be patched into (separate power, I guess) the 'bare bones' board for those gigs when required?

I guess the key is to patching in/out at the right places.

Is this an epiphany or does everyone do this anyway?

If it makes life easier then why not. I have 3 boards for this reason although I'm in the process of replacing the 3rd one. I grab whichever suits the band or venue I'm playing and don't have to faff about changing things to suit that night.

I've had this thought - I have 'essential' pedals for all gigs, and then a 'modulation' board just for one band - I also have a guitar board which overlaps with some of the modulation ones.

I've recently come across Stompblox which is a modular system - no one is distributing over here, but I'll be in the US in a couple of weeks so will get some and report back

If your 'smaller board' could fit a looper which you could then patch in the other board as and when? Might be a solution which would be, dare I say it, less hassle?

Edited by krispn

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1433408997' post='2790778']
The Stompblox system looks interesting, although I'd want to check how sturdy (picking it up etc) the whole thing is with say 4 or 6 of them connected, full of pedals.

Si
[/quote]

Personally I don't think I'd ever use more than 2, but it allows me to switch them around. Another cool thing is that the carry bags zip together so you don't have to take them apart to transport them

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1433415550' post='2790847']
Personally I don't think I'd ever use more than 2, but it allows me to switch them around. Another cool thing is that the carry bags zip together so you don't have to take them apart to transport them
[/quote]

They may be completely solid, but I agree, I think their main business will be people who use two of them probably.

Si

Thanks all for your comments on this - I think I just had epiphany#2 as follows: 'Bare bones' pedal board (Tuner/Comp/Pre-AmpDI) will go inbetween Bass and Amp (Bass==>Pedals==>Amp). I can run board number 2 (POG, Muff PI, Chorus, Env Filter) on the FX send/return loop of my Amp.

This means no messing about with cables on either pedal board - I just pull out whichever one I need at the time.

It's good to talk!

[quote name='Edenburgh' timestamp='1433538397' post='2792055']
Thanks all for your comments on this - I think I just had epiphany#2 as follows: 'Bare bones' pedal board (Tuner/Comp/Pre-AmpDI) will go inbetween Bass and Amp (Bass==>Pedals==>Amp). I can run board number 2 (POG, Muff PI, Chorus, Env Filter) on the FX send/return loop of my Amp.

This means no messing about with cables on either pedal board - I just pull out whichever one I need at the time.

It's good to talk!
[/quote]

Hmmmm, I dunno man.
Check to see if you amp expects a line level in it's send/return. No-one ever has run a Fuzz in their amps FX loop lol.
My guitarist used to run his delay pedal in his FX loop....not sure why.

Si

Brain slowly engaging here - If I bring the Muff into the board that is before the Amp and just put the POG/Chorus/Env Filter onto the FX loop would that work?

In summary:

Bass==> Board #1 (Tuner, Comp, Muff, EQ/DI) ==> Amp ==> FX Loop Send ==> Board #2 (POG, Chorus, Env Filter) ==>FX Return

Have we cracked it?

You'll need to use your ears man, again, never heard of someone using the a POG in their FX loop.
Also remember that the FX Loop will be after your pedals effectively, what if you prefer the sound of some of the loop pedals BEFORE the pedals on the board?!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1433538664' post='2792058']

My guitarist used to run his delay pedal in his FX loop....not sure why.

Si
[/quote]
this makes sense if the pre-amp is overdriven / distorted - running delay post "dirt" will sound cleaner than if the delays were also being overdriven.

So many combinations...brain hurts. But I do appreciate your input and thanks krispn for your kind offer - I will bear that in mind.

This has been really useful for me as it's made me think more about the pedal order before trying to do anything 'smart' like split things up..for time being I'm going to try this order (excuse the messy cabling - this is me just laying it all out before going mad with velcro and cable ties. (PS - Chorus only ever used with fretless therefore not used in combination with any other modulation/fuzz) I'm sure I've stuffed this order up somewhere along the lines...(tuner, comp, log, muff, env filter, chorus, DI/Pre-Amp)

Feedback, I was once told on a training course, is the breakfast of champions!

Guest FretNoMore

Just a thought to add to the confusion :)

Depending on what pedals you want in the bigger configuration maybe you don't really want to add them before or after the smaller board, but rather somewhere in the middle of the effects chain. I made a small patchbay just for this, an effects loop if you will. The send and return jacks are shorting jacks so if nothing is plugged in it just passes the sound through. Many builders sell loop pedals of different sorts, but this small version is an easy and cheap DIY build.

If your smaller board isn't too cramped you can of course just leave enough room between two pedals so you can unplug the cable between them and patch in the second board, and no loop or patchbay required.

Edited by FretNoMore

• 1 month later...

^^^ I like that a lot.

I've recently invested in a few new pedals and a couple of PedalTrain boards (a Nano+ and a Classic Junior). The smaller board is my designated 'Utility' board and just has the essentials for my church playing (Tuner, MicroPOG and some grit courtesy of a Bad Monkey. DI out via a SansAmp). For my bigger, more ambitious stuff I've set up an F/X board using the Jnr so I've got room for more dirt (JOYO Vintage and Ultimate drives), Big Muff Pi, Chorus and Delay. Still have room for one more pedal - GAS'ing for a Mr Black Eterna Gold. Next month maybe...... :)

[quote name='Edenburgh' timestamp='1433541505' post='2792093']

Bass==> Board #1 (Tuner, Comp, Muff, EQ/DI) ==> Amp ==> FX Loop Send ==> Board #2 (POG, Chorus, Env Filter) ==>FX Return

Have we cracked it?
[/quote]
I think you'd be better off with a true bypass loop on your first board after the compressor and plugging the second board into that.

Besides Sibob's comment about effects loops expecting a line level signal (such as a rack-mounted compressor or effects unit), many effects loops are parallel, in which case you will get a blend of the signal from the pre-amp and the effects loop. And, your second board is going to be downstream of the DI so you won't be sending the same signal to the PA.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have taken on board what you guys have been saying - and I've also spent some time playing about with things and taking a long hard look at band set lists to see what I actually NEED on the board (as opposed to what I think I might have fun with on any given night).
Bottom line is that the Env Filter and Chorus got dropped.

This left me with Tuner==>Comp==>POG==>Muff==>EQ/DI.

Trouble I had next was that (to my ears, anyway) the sub Octave from the POG and Muff when on together turns bottom end to mush. So I got a wee AB/Y box and we now go:
Tuner ==> Comp ==> POG =(dry out)=>Muff==> AB Box=(parallel out)=>EQ/DI
........................................... \\(effect out)=====>==//

Works a treat and I get clean Sub-Octave with Fuzz on the unaltered played note.

Edited by Edenburgh