Why become a member? ×

Bass played the most

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1433964519' post='2795536']
Despite being set up by his suggested luthier, he believes the notes on both to be inconsistent, personally I cannot hear it and neither can the luthier. On the basis the tutor has got me through 4 bass grades without issue, I cannot be bothered to argue. He is also keen that I do not swap between basses.
[/quote]

Yeah fair enough, no point in arguing about it :)

Despite being set up by his suggested luthier, he believes the notes on both to be inconsistent, personally I cannot hear it and neither can the luthier. On the basis the tutor has got me through 4 bass grades without issue, I cannot be bothered to argue. He is also keen that I do not swap between basses.
[/quote]

His attitude sounds really bad, personally I'd be looking for a new tutor.

Like Neepheid I play ine on rotation which often leads to a bit of a surprise when I pull out a bass which hasn't been used for a while and it blows my mind. This happened recently with my Bass Collection Nanyo - neglected for a couple of years, left in it's case under my bed - felt like meeting an old friend again...

I pick up the one more at hand. I mainly gig the TRB and when it gets home it usually stays inside it's case. When i'm going to practise something i usually take the Smith from the wall hanger just because it's there and it's easier to grab. My favourite is and will allways be the TRB though.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1433451571' post='2791256']
I found I was plumping for my bitsa Jazz every time, so I sold all the others.
[/quote]
I'm going through this at the minute. I've used nothing but my bitsa since pre xmas. Haven't sold any yet but thinking about it. I like the lack of worry when gigging it - total cost was £225, most of it on the USA neck which transformed it.

• 3 months later...

I have two G&Ls - a USA SB2 and a Tribute L2500; up until about a month ago the SB2 was played all the time, but since getting the L2500 in a trade, I can't put it down and have barely picked up the SB2, looks like I'll be sticking with five strings for a while to come.

I find that I have to play my others basses, to try and get a better sound or feel out of them , to "better" my Stingray, its like I always have to try and challenge my Stingray with my other basses to try and stop me playing it all the time, and probably to keep the Mrs quiet about "you can only play one at a time" ..... "yes dear but it's about the different sounds etc...." (insert fave excuse here)

But for me The Ray is king.

[/quote]
Out of curiosity how long have you been playing for, and what exam are you due to take?

When I teach, I encourage all my students to use as many different basses as possible, different necks, tone, radiuses help to get you used to any bass and able to play any bass on a whim without over thinking it.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1442660527' post='2868553']

Out of curiosity how long have you been playing for, and what exam are you due to take?

When I teach, I encourage all my students to use as many different basses as possible, different necks, tone, radiuses help to get you used to any bass and able to play any bass on a whim without over thinking it.
[/quote]

I have been playing approx 18 months and taking Rockschool grade 4. Since my post, my tutor has switched 180 degrees and I am now on my P Bass with flats. We have agreed to switch to the Stingray 5 however once this exam is done (which should be the next 6 weeks or so).

Edited by Bobthedog

As of a couple of weeks ago, it's been all about my new fretless Stingray 5; running through every song I know with it, and learning quite a few new ones just for kicks.

I know from past experience that once I get on a fretless buzz, I will attempt to do absolutely *everything* with a fretless and usually get away with it :)

My Sabre has been taking something of a back seat.

For playing at home, the Antoniotsai 5-string fretted as it's conveniently to hand (hanging on the wall) and comfortable to play sitting down (unlike the Buzzard, which is like cuddling a hedgehog).

For gigging, mainly the Sei headless fretless. It lives in a case at home because Hercules wall hangers don't work with it (see also: clip-on tuners). But if there's going to be a reasonable amount of room, I'll take the Buzzard too, or if I feel like it, the Antoniotsai.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1433513122' post='2791740']
I have different instruments for different bands, due to different repertoire. So at home, depending on which gig is upcoming, I could have any or all of them out at the same time.
[/quote]
Pretty much the same thing I do, I decide what bass is best suited to the next gig then that is usually the one I do all my practicing for that gig.