Why become a member? ×

Bass played the most

Kevin Dean

I have 2 Shuker basses ,one jazz with a status neck & A Ibanez musician all great basses .....But I've only just realized that I spend most of my time in my flat using a cheap Vintage acoustic bass for working stuff out ...does anyone else do this ? & maybe I should treat myself to a new acoustic bass & suggestions ? 34" plus scale .

I recognise this phenomena... Perceived high-value basses given short shrift versus a low-value 'beater' which you come to know and love...

Solution - Be rigorous in what are investments and what are players, then beat the hell out of the players every day.

My beater is my GB which was expensive but is the DB's... when it gets its first ding you'll here me from where-ever you are...

I've recently purchased my first acoustic bass, & am liking the 'pick up & play' aspect of it I must say. Absolutely no good for my current band project, but finding it very useful to have around the home.

Edited by Wilco

Well i keep my basses in the garage loft.
So i end up learning new songs on my 6 string acoustic guitar!
Just because that is what is closest to hand.
Ive been waiting for a cheapish acoustic bass to pop up too though.
Ideal for the house

I rotate through all my basses as equally as I can. Although it's generally on a whim ("haven't played you in a while" etc.) on a long enough time line they all get played equally. I keep a record of which basses I played at which gigs (yes, I'm geeky like that) so everyone gets a fair crack of the whip.

I have my old Westone Concord, my first ever bass, to hand next to the sofa for home plinking. My Shuker is my main gigging bass, and as we downtune a semitone, I keep my Mex P in concert pitch for learning songs, and it also serves as my stage backup. I recently picked up a half-size six-string acoustic for £20 off here, which is also getting a lot of whilst-watching-TV use lately.

My cheapo Aria Magna 5er is out all the time. My Fender P 5er lives in it's case so gets to leave the house for rehearsals. That's mostly due to having two children around the house. I'd be miffed if the Aria got broken, but livid if the P is damaged :)

Depends on the project, generally if I want to drop tune then I'm on my ACG, if I want standard or near too then it's my modded fender. If I want extended range then it's my yamaha and if I need it to sound thin and weedy I use my guitar ;)

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1433851873' post='2794518']
My tutor can't stand the sound of my Fender Jazz or P basses..
[/quote]

That's a bit of an odd attitude from your tutor considering the vast majority of electric bass recorded and performed has been on a Fender P or J. What is it that he can't stand about the sound?

I guess with me, laziness and familiarity tends to push me to my Limelight Jazz most of the time. It looks sufficiently crusty that im not worried about leaving it out if it's box around the house and I'm happy with anyone using it at a jam night - the main reasons I bought it I suppose.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1433927745' post='2795070']

That's a bit of an odd attitude from your tutor considering the vast majority of electric bass recorded and performed has been on a Fender P or J. What is it that he can't stand about the sound?
[/quote]

Despite being set up by his suggested luthier, he believes the notes on both to be inconsistent, personally I cannot hear it and neither can the luthier. On the basis the tutor has got me through 4 bass grades without issue, I cannot be bothered to argue. He is also keen that I do not swap between basses.