Why become a member? ×

New to site, advice needed please

SLAAAAAAYERRRRR

Hi all!

So I used to mess around on bass a bit on a mates beautiful thunderbird and fell in love. Fast forward, a friend of a friend of a friend has this old piece, a hohner arbor mx1 series. She'd picked it up in a house clearance and wanted rid, for a fiver. of course I snapped it up, but I know nothing about bass (or guitars frankly). It doesn't have strings yet, one pickups missing a screw but besides that it seems to be in great condition.

My question to you experts is, what else could be wrong with it? Is it worth keeping? I plan to buy another anyway, but for some reason I want to keep this so any help would be appreciated!

Good afternoon, Slayer, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

I can't answer your questions; maybe if you could post a few pictures someone could chip in..? You could also complete your Profile, giving your location; perhaps there's a forum member not far from you who could give the bass a 'once-over'..? Eventually it'll need stringing up and plugging in to have any idea as to its potential, I'd say. Good luck with your project, anyway; keep us posted as to progress, please..?

Definitely worth keeping, you won't know how good/bad/indifferent it sounds until it's strung up and plugged in but you can't really go wrong for what you paid. If it seems in good condition then the frets probably don't have much wear - what it will need is a decent set-up (neck relief, intonation, action) and you can find out about those things online (Google/YouTube) and on here. You ought to be able to get a replacement pickup height adjustment screw fairly easily (try eBay or maybe someone on here could donate a spare). Welcome to Basschat and have fun!