Why become a member? ×

SOLD Wal MK2, 1988, good condition
£3150

Hooch

Bloody beast. Got this one a few years ago, as I wanted to experience the « Wal thing ». The experience was quite impressive. I'm going back to 4-strings now. Tried to justify having this one under my bed for months, and did not succeed.

She's a MK2 from october 1988. Worn-in but really good condition. Electronics is dead-silent, frets are good with very few signs of wear, and neck is damn straight with a nice low action (2mm above the 12[sup]th[/sup], except for the B-string). Trussrod is effective in both directions and has very little effort to do to keep the neck straight.

Two things have to be noticed : 1/ there are only 2 screws on the preamp backplate, 2/ The G-tuning peg broke a few years ago and her previous owner replaced it with a non original one. There are some crazes due to this replacement. If you look at the pic, it's only the coat which was crazed.

As for these 2 points, I just ordered new set of screws and a G-tuning peg to Wal. I'll gladly forward this to the future owner of this bass.

Indian rosewood fingerboard, one-piece brazilian mahogany body and gorgeous shedua facings. 11 pounds, not a light one (anyway, is there any lighweight Wal fiver ?), but as you may know you can gain not far from one pound combining the MS4 tuning pegs with Ultra light Schaller ones.

As for the sound... well, wal-ish obviously, many (many) tones, always thick and defined, with a huge amount of growl if needed. Pick attack, filters and trimpots work fine. B-string is the best I tried, even if it's a 34 scale. You can use it on the A, and have a pretty defined tone. She's really a great bass.

Original case is included in the sale. [s]3150 GBP, fully-insured shipping to Europe included.[/s] [s]2950 [/s]2900 [b]2850[/b] pounds, shipping fees excluded.

"[/URL]
"]
"
"]
"

Edited by Hooch

Thanks fellas, nice proposals too but my kidney's fine at the moment, and I'm not looking for a 6-string - btw gorgeous bass !

I was asked for some details. First I live in Paris, France. [s]My price includes a full-insured shipping to European countries[/s] (EDIT: bass is now on sale shipping fees excluded). I regularly ship basses, got everything to ensure a safe shipping.

As for the B-string's height. There is no issue at all with the neck, which is perfectly straight. The B-string's height above the 12th fret is 2,5mm - other strings' height is 2mm and under. It's due to the fact that a B-string needs more height to ring. It's quite normal, especially on a 34 scale. She's strung with (new) 45-125 DR Hi-beams strings.

Edited by Hooch

Still there.

As for trades, no basses I'm afraid. I'm looking for some effects though: Solidgoldfx Beta, Empress ParaEq (boost version),[s] IE Xerograph, 3 leaf Wonderlove[/s]... just let me know :)

Edited by Hooch

Here are new pics with the parts I received yesterday. As for the G-tuning peg, it's possible to combine the key with the original black and silver plate – unfortunately, i don't have the proper tool for this.

[url="http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=566353P1010962.jpg][IMG]http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/566353P1010962.jpg[/IMG][/URL"][IMG]http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/566353P1010962.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Edited by Hooch

Sorry for the 36-hour bumping rule, but i forgot to mention that i'll be in London this friday's evening, which may ease and sweeten the deal.

New price drop: 2850 pounds, shipping fees not included.

As for rebuilding the original Schaller tuner ; yes its very simple to transfer the worm and string post shafts, the collar and the wing onto the original black logo body. All you need is one small flat head and a medium flat head screwdrivers, real simple! They only used those black logo ones for about two years and you can't find them anywhere, and would be special to retain them as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...