Why become a member? ×

will a SLB-200 when packed away fit in my tiny house?

toastieman

hello all,

I've been looking at the Yamaha SLB-200 online, and seems very interesting! But not many places have in stock, so would have to order unseen on the internet most likely.

I'm wondering - how big is the thing when packed away in it's case? Is anyone with one able to help please?

The specs online only have (I think) the unfolded dimensions - it's not very clear anyway!

many thanks!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1433511527' post='2791721']
It's relatively small and compact and can easily be kept, for example, behind a sofa (where mine used to live). Really good instrument

C
[/quote]
Thanks!
How did you find it compared with acoustic DB sound?

The case is 57"x12"x7" and is easy to fit in vehicles and small houses like mine.I've had my SLB200 for about 6 weeks and will play it on our next gig.Great sound after some adjustments to the bridge and with the right use of the controls on the instrument and amp it can sound a lot like an amplified DB.Expensive but excellent instrument.I use it for jazz standards in a quartet and the band loves the sound-a lot better than the Stagg EDB34 and Yamaha bass guitar I have been using.Both of those are good instruments and have their place but the SLB200 works best for our music.Go for it!

Bob in Canada

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1433591306' post='2792349']
The case is 57"x12"x7" and is easy to fit in vehicles and small houses like mine.I've had my SLB200 for about 6 weeks and will play it on our next gig.Great sound after some adjustments to the bridge and with the right use of the controls on the instrument and amp it can sound a lot like an amplified DB.Expensive but excellent instrument.I use it for jazz standards in a quartet and the band loves the sound-a lot better than the Stagg EDB34 and Yamaha bass guitar I have been using.Both of those are good instruments and have their place but the SLB200 works best for our music.Go for it!

Bob in Canada
[/quote]

thanks Bob! I think I will!

+1 to Bob's comments above. Re the sound, choice of strings makes a big difference, plus a popular mod is to add a pickup, I went for the Fishman Full Circle on mine and much prefer the sound to the onboard pickup.
You're welcome to come have a look/play of mine if you like, I'm in north London.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the SLB-200 out for the first time yesterday at the London Yamaha shop (which by the way is brilliant) - the sound was great, and extremely close to an acoustic double bass in playability and tone. Also, I had expected that it would be best for pizz only, but lovely arco also!

Only downside is the lack of body makes holding it a bit difficult while sitting, but looks like there is an optional knee support to help with this.

Very impressive though!