Why become a member? ×

Mike Lull Basses

PauBass

I have been looking at Mike Lull basses for a while now and I like them a lot!
For now I'm mainly interested on the Modern 5 and the Bryan Beller signature, I really love the tones he gets from his Modern 5....jazz tone but a bit more aggressive to my ears.

Has anyone had a chance to try any of these basses, please?
Ideally I'd like to get a used one but they don't come up often so...Any idea, on how they compare, sound wise, to the more traditional looking MV models?

Thanks!

Edited by PauBass

Have you spoken to Mark at Bass Direct, wonder if he knows?

Mike Lull is really accessible, you can literally phone up and ask him those questions yourself, he's a really friendly guy in my experience. Paul at Mike Lull answers the emails, really nice guy but he may steer you to Mike with questions about the nature of the basses.

I've had two Lull's, both incredible in totally different ways, though of course wood and pickup choice sees to that. It's taken years and a huge variety of basses, but I finally found the maker for me, no question or hesitation.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433593702' post='2792377']
Have you spoken to Mark at Bass Direct, wonder if he knows?

Mike Lull is really accessible, you can literally phone up and ask him those questions yourself, he's a really friendly guy in my experience. Paul at Mike Lull answers the emails, really nice guy but he may steer you to Mike with questions about the nature of the basses.

I've had two Lull's, both incredible in totally different ways, though of course wood and pickup choice sees to that. It's taken years and a huge variety of basses, but I finally found the maker for me, no question or hesitation.
[/quote]

Thanks Chiliwailer!
Yes, I have been in touch with Mark and I have just emailed Mike Lull too, no one better than him to offer advice on his instruments :)
What two do you own? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm also interested in hearing from fellow Baschatters about these instruments. Not sure if anyone in here owns, or has played a modern 5 or Bryan Beller, if so I'd like to hear peoples opinions and experiences.

By reading Lull's website, I have the feeling the MV and Modern series, might be quite similar sounding, and the differences will be down mainly to the look of the instrument.
If someone, has played both models, is this the case?

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1433595255' post='2792401']

Thanks Chiliwailer!
Yes, I have been in touch with Mark and I have just emailed Mike Lull too, no one better than him to offer advice on his instruments :)
What two do you own? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm also interested in hearing from fellow Baschatters about these instruments. Not sure if anyone in here owns, or has played a modern 5 or Bryan Beller, if so I'd like to hear peoples opinions and experiences.

By reading Lull's website, I have the feeling the MV and Modern series, might be quite similar sounding, and the differences will be down mainly to the look of the instrument.
If someone, has played both models, is this the case?
[/quote]

I used to have a P4, alder and rosewood and Lollar pickup which is wound to Mike's spec so it sounds super vintage. I seriously could not fault that bass, but ash and maple is my choice of wood on a P Bass so I got a PJ4 in that combo. I liked the idea of the Nordstrand pickups too on my PJ4 as I wanted a modern tone which I could easily vintage with strings and pedals etc, harder to do the other way around for me.

Seems like the only difference in the MV and Modern is the top and 24 fret neck on a 5. I played an M5V at Mikes workshop last year, I really enjoyed having a go but my mind ended up more on the P's while I was there. I was still well impressed with it.
Looks like Bass Direct only had two Bryan Bellers, one may have gone to Basschats very own Hiram.K.Hackenbacker - WARREN, if you're reading this, what's it like?!!!

Just took another peek at the Beller, it has an asymmetrical neck and mid shift push/pull. Might be just those differences as the MV5 can also come with Aguilar pre amp. That mid shift can get aggressive if pushed I bet, nice!

(Don't quote me on that!).

My only Lull experience is of PJ5's. I have owned one for about 4 years and it has been my go to bass since day 1. It really is one of the best basses I've played.

It weighs 8.5 lbs, balances well with a low action and the tone is full, fat and punchy. I don't use the J pickup, it doesn't need it, and flats made it even better.

I A/B'ed it against a Nordy P5 and it won hands down.

I can't imagine that a Lull Jazz or the BB bass would be anything other than an incredible instrument.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1433611105' post='2792536']
My only Lull experience is of PJ5's. I have owned one for about 4 years and it has been my go to bass since day 1. It really is one of the best basses I've played.

It weighs 8.5 lbs, balances well with a low action and the tone is full, fat and punchy. I don't use the J pickup, it doesn't need it, and flats made it even better.

I A/B'ed it against a Nordy P5 and it won hands down.

I can't imagine that a Lull Jazz or the BB bass would be anything other than an incredible instrument.
[/quote]

Every one talks really, really well about Lulls, have yet to read a bad comment about them...unlike many other brands :rolleyes:
This is not helping my GAS :gas:

I wouldn't mind a Modern or BB like this one:

[url="http://s105.photobucket.com/user/PauBass/media/Lull%20Modern_zpstwp0kpnm.jpg.html"][/url]

Or maybe with a matching headstock?

[url="http://s105.photobucket.com/user/PauBass/media/lull_m5_zpspdkftcgw.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by PauBass

Loving the one with the natural head :)

Worth a special order maybe?!!

For a while I've been gearing up for a custom order from Mike, wouldn't hesitate to buy blind, done it twice on both my Lull's with no issues. Thing is, as Chris B says, from day 1 my PJ4 has been a game changer so I'm sticking with it for sure, confused on what to add now as all its done is make me want to sell what else I have!

I'm mid way through selling two expensive basses and maybe getting a Stingray 5 on p/x, if I like the 5 I may go that route (order from Mike) , but to be honest the PJ4 is doing the do and I need cash for physio this year so the credit card may get some rest, lol:)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433612685' post='2792553']
Loving the one with the natural head :)

Worth a special order maybe?!!

For a while I've been gearing up for a custom order from Mike, wouldn't hesitate to buy blind, done it twice on both my Lull's with no issues. Thing is, as Chris B says, from day 1 my PJ4 has been a game changer so I'm sticking with it for sure, confused on what to add now as all its done is make me want to sell what else I have!

I'm mid way through selling two expensive basses and maybe getting a Stingray 5 on p/x, if I like the 5 I may go that route, but to be honest the PJ4 is doing the do and I need cash for physio this year so the credit card may get some rest, lol:)
[/quote]

Mark has gotten back to me, the BB can be made on trans black, as the pic above, at no extra cost :gas:

I know Mike well, and know just about every player with one. Very, very, very good and solid basses that have that extra you would expect from a high end builder. Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick went to him especially for the great 4 strings he makes.

You will never be disappointed with a Lull. Worth the price, and they are basses that will never leave your collection once you have it.

I have owned a PJ5 and currently a PJ4, they are both insanely light and have beautiful neck profiles. You can spec the electronics to your taste and there are many different colours to choose from. Fit and finish is well above average and the necks can take a crazy low action due to the Plekking.
I would definitely recommend them, it's just a case of finding the right one for you.
Mike Lull and his guys are really quick to respond to emails and Mark Stickley is just amazing. It is hard to imagine someone being disappointed with a Lull they are great value at the price point.

I've found Lulls, like many brands, to vary in tonal qualities and it feel to me that the pickup choice can make a real difference.

I've owned five now and only one has really stood out for me and that's the one I've hung on to. Some of the others have had all the ingredients I tend to look for in a bass, light wright, well built and finished, slim necks etc (hence why I keep buying them!) but when I've played them for any length of time they've lacked a bit of character and sounded a little bland :(

The one I have is simple passive P with a custom wound pickup and a J neck with blocks and it works really well as modern P and does a decent impressin of a more vintage tone if you wind the tone back. I've gigged it a few times and always enjoyed it right up until last week when I really struggled to get a sound I liked at a difficult venue. At my previous gig I'd taken my new Sadowsky NYC J and I was really missing the bridge bite and a bit of active boost.

After owning a few that have, ultimately disappointed me, I'm not sure I'd buy another one 'blind' without hearing it properly first.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1433703895' post='2793267']
I have owned a PJ5 and currently a PJ4, they are both insanely light and have beautiful neck profiles. You can spec the electronics to your taste and there are many different colours to choose from. Fit and finish is well above average and the necks can take a crazy low action due to the Plekking.
I would definitely recommend them, it's just a case of finding the right one for you.
Mike Lull and his guys are really quick to respond to emails and Mark Stickley is just amazing. It is hard to imagine someone being disappointed with a Lull they are great value at the price point.
[/quote]

Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it.

Believe it or not guys, I already had GAS for a modern 5 in 2010 but a change on bands and not needing a 5 string meant I didn't order it.
Now the Bryan Beller comes in a naroower neck and that for me is a big bonus too....I think the Lull is meant to be my new bass. So many years later and STIL, on my mind, that's never happened before with any bass!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1433709307' post='2793326']
I've found Lulls, like many brands, to vary in tonal qualities and it feel to me that the pickup choice can make a real difference.

I've owned five now and only one has really stood out for me and that's the one I've hung on to. Some of the others have had all the ingredients I tend to look for in a bass, light wright, well built and finished, slim necks etc (hence why I keep buying them!) but when I've played them for any length of time they've lacked a bit of character and sounded a little bland :(

The one I have is simple passive P with a custom wound pickup and a J neck with blocks and it works really well as modern P and does a decent impressin of a more vintage tone if you wind the tone back. I've gigged it a few times and always enjoyed it right up until last week when I really struggled to get a sound I liked at a difficult venue. At my previous gig I'd taken my new Sadowsky NYC J and I was really missing the bridge bite and a bit of active boost.

After owning a few that have, ultimately disappointed me, I'm not sure I'd buy another one 'blind' without hearing it properly first.
[/quote]

Thank you very much for your input too Molan, always good to hear different opinions.

Please, let's keep this nice, I'm sure you both have your views and reasons for them.

As for other brands, I have tried many and basses have come and go...I'm sure there are other great basses out there but they do not attract me as much as this one does.
Sadowskys I have owned two metros and a New York.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433709458' post='2793328']
Hard to take that seriously when you stock Sadowsky and your competitor stocks Lull.......
[/quote]

I'm a gigging Mike Lull player Dan - sure that means I'm not showing bias?

I've owned five of them and that gives me a lot of direct experience as a gigging bass player. Some have been good, some haven't. The not so good ones have been a bit bland and lacking in character. The good one isn't.

Even my Facebook profile picture and my band web page shows me playing the Lull, as did my previous FB profile pic!

Edit - I should also say that Mark and I have discussed being 'competitors' in the past and we've always thought that we're in the business of selling instruments and amplification etc together, in a very small market, rather than being competitors. We've supported each other in the past and get on really well.

Edited by molan