Why become a member? ×

Passive monitor fault. Advice please.

NoRhino

I use 1 x powered monitor and 1 x [b]passive monitor [/b]for vocals foldback at small gigs.
The powered monitor works perfectly well but the sound from the [b]passive [/b]unit is weak to barely audible. I know how to wield a screwdriver and use a meter; what should I test and what are your suggestions to fix this?

The faulty unit is a Laney CM10

Thanks

Well, first of all, I'm surprised (and pleased for you...) that such a small powered monitor fits your bill, with only 65w..! We use 2 x 300w HK and don't have enough for some stages..!
Back to the affair on hand, though. I'll spare you the embarrassment of suggesting that maybe you're plugging the CM10 into the wrong jack socket and ask instead: has this monitor worked well in the past, in the same configuration or with another amp..? Are you using a cable fit for purpose (not a screened signal cable, but a proper speaker cable, with at least 2 x 1.5 cores...)..? If this used to work, but works no more, and you're using a good cable, there ain't that much that can go wrong. The voice coil could be rubbing, or the speaker suspension 'shot'; for either symptom the remedy would be to change the speaker. Is it certain that no-one has, at any point, filled the thing with lager..? That won't do a monitor much good. :mellow:
Have you tried powering any other speaker (not necessarily a monitor, but preferable with 8 ohm impedance...) from the powered monitor..? Maybe it's not pumping out enough signal itself..? If that's the case, the solution could be more delicate, but could be as simple as cleaning the jack contacts. Inspired by any of this..?
Hope this helps.

Edit: just seen that (I think, on some models...) there's a 'link' jack socket on the CM10. Don't use that; it's for linking a line level signal to another powered monitor. You won't be needing that with your pair.

Edited by Dad3353

To check that the CM10 is working can you hook it up to your main pa in some other configuration?
That would at least tell you if the fault lies with the CM10 or the CXP110.
Did the CM10 used to work OK and then suddenly went quiet?

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Dad - the small units work well for small venues, at larger places we do use more appropriate powered monitors.[/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I'm not easily embarrassed so no problem in you asking... We always use the Ext Speaker output from the CXP to the CM10 and it worked well for years. [/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]​On the cable front I do admit to always only using a standard instrument cable.Is that embarrassing? :blush: but am inspired by your suggestions and will try a few things. Thank you.[/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]​It has never suffered a lager assault. [/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]​ikay - Thanks for your input too. I'll take the CM10 to a rehearsal tomorrow and test it from the PA there. It worked well for years until this fault appeared.[/color][/font]

So, it's either the cable that's not adequate (tut, tut; you should know better than that... :P ), or the speaker itself has 'snuffed it', or the powered unit is no longer doing its thing. Have you tried another speaker connected to the powered one, just to eliminate that possibility..? I'm rooting for the bad cable, myself; could be wrong. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...