Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Roadstar II RB650 (1984)

emilibass

This is my first post in this section. I felt I had to share my new bass guitar as it’s a really special one.

It’s not been long since I started to feel much more attracted to old (vintage) bass guitars than to new (modern) ones.

I’m always on the outlook for basses as I’m a bit curious, and there comes the time when you find what I consider it to be an extraordinary jewel and you can’t get hold of yourself: an 1984 P/J Ibanez Roadstar II (made in Japan). The best part of it all is not that it’s an excellent instrument, for me far better than present MIA bass guitars (nevermind the brand, though it’s too risky a thing to say), but the fact that it’s [b]BRAND NEW[/b]. Yes, as if I had travelled back in time 31 one years and brought an out-of-the-factory instrument in 1984. Is it possible? Yes. It has been forgotten in its original UNOPENED cardboard box, until one month ago someone wondered what was inside that box that read Ibanez. It has its original plastic bags (one ofr the bass and the other one for the hardcase) and the pickguard plastic protection. It even had the orignal strings except one. Nobody opened that box. Incredible. Untouched. With it's original hardshell case, not a fingerprint on it as well. A dream come true for any lover of vintage instruments.

For those who don’t know these series, the bass is clearly based on a Fender Precision, with minor changes. It weighs 4kg (9lb). It’s 34” scale and has 21 frets. The electronics are passive and the pickups are Ibanez “SuperP4/SuperJ4”. The case is not fabulous: it's made of laminated veneer lumber covered with imitation leather. It doesn't look like "bump-resistant", but it's far better than gigbags.

The [b]neck[/b] isn’t wide (4cm at the nut) and I think it has a C profile, though I’m not so sure about it. It has a very thin layer of coat (which I find very comfortable), different from modern Japanese instruments (FenderJB Marcus Miller o Geddy Lee). It’s a one-piece maple neck. It’s damn straight and responded perfectly when I tighten the truss rod to adjut the action to my liking. The frets are lowered or sanded (don’t know if before or after being on the neck, but guess before). This gives it a touch of vintage sound that I liked, as well as make it possible to chieve a low action, as it reduces the buzzing.

I can’t see the wood of the [b]body[/b], but according to specs it must be basswood, a kind of cheap timber used in Japan for mid-series. I kind of like it because it features good and defined lows; however, I must admit that sometimes I miss the good and clean highs of ash timber. You can’t have everything!

The finish and details are really good; for example, the neck fits in perfectly in the body. In many aspects, the workers in [b]Hoshino Gakki[/b] were skilled and knew what they were doing.

The bass sounds really nice and clean. There’s no humming or any other annoying small noises. The pots are in perfect working order. The magnets on the pickups ae allen screws, which I guess they can be adjust in height according to the needs.

Something I didn’t like about it is that the bridge pickup has a lowoutput when compared to the bridge one. The truth is that when you mix it with the neck pickups it makes the sound more compressed and clear, in my opinion.

If you want to know what these Ibanez were like right out of the Gakki factory, here you’ll find the best example possible.

And the best part is yet to come: a video (the first time, hahaha) and some pics.

[b]VIDEO[/b]: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm9UqOXMkcE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=xm9UqOXMkcE[/url]

Thanks for all your comments.

Someone put up an ad on a Spanish secondhand webpage. The funniest thing is that I was the only interested in it.

It seems that the man who owned it got it when a courier company he was working for closed down. There were many thing and the workers shared them. Among them were some Ibanez boxes. The man took the box home and went straight into his garage, where was left unopened. Nobody noticed it until one month ago when his son-in-law spotted it. That's the story, as simple as can be.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say thanks your post. My mom bought me almost the exact bass brand new of the rack in 1985......and I never played it :(..... It sat in her attic for over 30 years. I got it out a month ago took it to a friend to look at. The neck was fine. Spent a few bucks on new strings and a set up and it sounds great!!! I'm fortunate to be surrounded by a thriving musical community with several bass players... and they all love it.
Peace
Gris