Why become a member? ×

Fuzz recommendations

redbandit599

Hi all

Feeling the absence of fuzz currently, don't get to use one much and I'm not overly fussy.

What I need:-

Works well with active and passive basses
Mids, want to hear it
Ideally not too big
Real world price

I'll not have need for really aggressive tones, just classic fuzz.

Any pointers? Cheers

J

The Mooer Fog is a Wolley Mammoth clone, too. It's a very small pedal and can be had for £39 [url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/mooer-mbfz1-fog-bass-guitar-fuzz-pedal-q-q.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-tSrBRCk8bzDiO__gbwBEiQAk-D31RaxVL1kJplE2j0s06bUhVTzlf2_euZJqqRd-T_--24aAke88P8HAQ"]here[/url].

Can't say I've ever used it with an active bass I'm afraid, but dopefx have a FB page you can check with. I've just checked ebay and they've renamed mine the Iron Lung

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DopeFx-Iron-Lung-Boba-Fuzz-Mammoth-Silicon-Woolly-Bass-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-/231583597349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35eb754325"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DopeFx-Iron-Lung-Boba-Fuzz-Mammoth-Silicon-Woolly-Bass-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-/231583597349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35eb754325[/url]

Pretty cheap at the mo.....

Blimey, my ears are fuzzy. Some good ideas out there, thanks. Been doing the internet trawl and a couple of those mentioned above 'do it' for me.

I did also stumble across DannyBuoy's review of the Behringer SF300, for £20 that caught my eye as a cheapy! Is it actually any good in a band?

I've tried lots of pedals and muffs are my favourite on bass. Moose makes really good ones and his prices are great. His dobsky fuzz is a tweaked green muff pedal and sounds huge. If that's not what you want message him and im sure he could make whatever you want at a great price.

https://www.facebook.com/moosetwentythreecustomelectronics

I bought the Zvex Mastotron on the basis of some good reviews, and that Royal Blood use it... I'm not experienced enough to compare it to many others, but you can get a pretty good range of noises from it (I bet I haven't found half of them yet), and it seems to go pretty cheap second hand. It is slightly larger than a Boss pedal (longer) and is landscape. No clue if it plays with active basses. Just to add another log to the pile...

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1433836011' post='2794302']
I bought the Zvex Mastotron on the basis of some good reviews, and that Royal Blood use it... I'm not experienced enough to compare it to many others, but you can get a pretty good range of noises from it (I bet I haven't found half of them yet), and it seems to go pretty cheap second hand. It is slightly larger than a Boss pedal (longer) and is landscape. No clue if it plays with active basses. Just to add another log to the pile...
[/quote]

Mastotron is great and has the impedence control so works well with actives. Good price too, but I disliked the horizontal format.
My favourite so far is the Oxide, but you're going up in price a bit.

I think I'm leaning towards muff type, I had a good old EHX some time back, sounded great on it's own but lost in a band - hence the mids requirement.

I did have an Oxide as well and agree they are awesome, sold it though and I'm probably after something a little less synthy and that carries the 'fuzz' a bit lower if that makes any sense.

I can see a few more Youtube clips being viewed soon... Thanks all :)

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1433842344' post='2794389']
I did have an Oxide as well and agree they are awesome, sold it though and I'm probably after something a little less synthy and that carries the 'fuzz' a bit lower if that makes any sense.

[/quote]

Fair enough. I love the glitchy synth, me ☺🎹

Yep, I loved that glitchy sound too from the Oxide too - playing about with the morph feature on the Oxide was hours of fun. Have to admit it's probably the only pedal I've sold that I really wasn't sure about passing on. Ultimately though I play in a hard rock covers band and a pop punk band and so it wasn't getting used 'properly' shall we say.

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1433803350' post='2794198']
Blimey, my ears are fuzzy. Some good ideas out there, thanks. Been doing the internet trawl and a couple of those mentioned above 'do it' for me.

I did also stumble across DannyBuoy's review of the Behringer SF300, for £20 that caught my eye as a cheapy! Is it actually any good in a band?
[/quote]

Never actually used one, just posted a video I found on YouTube. But after lots of people rushed out and bought one, a few reported it had too much low end loss.

There is a simple mids knob modification you can make to the EHX Bass Big Muff if you are handy with a soldering iron? It also needs a mod to tame the volume boost when using it set to dry mode. But it's a great cheap pedal with a few tweaks!

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/bass-big-muff-mids-control-mod.1070352/

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1433890582' post='2794950']
Thanks all for the great suggestions, I have plumped for a Cog Grand Tarkin from our own Fenderhead. But there was a lot of competition and some really interesting stuff I'd never heard of before. :)
[/quote]

I've also just noticed that you're from Brightlingsea, my home town, still get back there fairly often to see my parents :)
Anyway, back to Fuzz

Si

I've just found a really good 'fuzzy' sound by turning both the 'mid' and the 'voice' pots on the Joyo American Sound up to 3 o'clock. This really pushes at ~800Hz and this into my ROG Ginger pre-amp pedal gives a great fuzzy/overdrive.

It reminds me of Geezer's NIB tone (without the Wah part), starting at 0:42....

[media]http://youtu.be/TNKttMFgaf0[/media]

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1434060551' post='2796435']
I didn't like that there was no gain knob. Only sounded right if I turned the volume down on my bass.
[/quote]

+1, it's why I sold mine. I contacted Doug and got instructions on how to add a gain pot, bought the pot and everything but then chickened out of modding a brand new expensive pedal with my lack of soldering skills!