Why become a member? ×

Pickup height/tilt question...

solo4652

Just got this P bass. Front pickup is tilted so that the front edge (closer to neck) is lower than rear edge. Opposite for rear pickup. Result is an "apex roof" orientation. Sounds OK. Should/need I check under pickups to get them level?
[attachment=193878:100_0829 - Copy (2).JPG]

Edited by solo4652

Thanks for the link, which covers pickup height moving across the strings from E to G. My question is about pickup tilt in the other orientation. Looking down from the top edge of the bass, the left-hand edge of the front pickup that's closer to the neck is lower than the rear edge. Opposite for the rear pickup. If you can blow up my photo, I think you'll see what I'm trying to describe.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1433764498' post='2793690']
Thanks for the link, which covers pickup height moving across the strings from E to G. My question is about pickup tilt in the other orientation. Looking down from the top edge of the bass, the left-hand edge of the front pickup that's closer to the neck is lower than the rear edge. Opposite for the rear pickup. If you can blow up my photo, I think you'll see what I'm trying to describe.
[/quote]

Could be the foam underneath has degraded, they should be level. Worth taking a peak under the pickup

I just re-installed the original P pickups in my MIM P yesterday (taken out 6 months ago to try another pup) and they also have a slight tilt. I put it down to there are only two screws (unlike a J pup with 4) so the foam can get a bit squashed over and it is not easy to level. Bass is only 18 months old, so nothing degraded. Don't think it matters, I could not be bothered to strip the bass down again. Don't remember what it was like originally, but the replacement pup was more level.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1433770290' post='2793771']
I don't like it at all when they tilt. It makes me very uneasy until I can get them nice and level again :unsure:
[/quote]
Me too, but soundwise it can't really make much difference, but the OCD does tend to kick in.

The Yamaha 3-screw fitting gives full control of sideways tilt and is infinitely better than the dodgy Fender 2-screw affair. It's one of those annoying things that has become an industry standard for some reason

[url="http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/iankay/media/Stuff/Yamaha%20pups.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by ikay

Had a look inside one of my cheaper squier basses, there are circular holes cut into the foam and a coil spring inside this. Slight improvement, but can't remember if it is a P of J pup as the bass has both.
Fender always did things as cheap as possible.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1433771106' post='2793787']
Me too, but soundwise it can't really make much difference, but the OCD does tend to kick in.
[/quote]

Whole new thread here!?

Same number of string turns round each tuning post?

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1433799816' post='2794166']

Whole new thread here!?

Same number of string turns round each tuning post?
[/quote]

But of course. And all the tuning heads at the same angle when fully tuned. I shudder to think of anything else.

Thankfully I'm joking in my case.

The holes in the bottom of the route for the pick ups are probably not vertically aligned so when the mounting screws are fitted they cause a 'tilt'. Answer - to re drill holes in the right place & plug the old ones. Or it may be caused by a replacement pickguard with the cut outs in a different place so when fitted it's forcing the pick ups out of position. Or could even be replacement pick ups that are not quite the same shape/size/mounting holes, the cut outs were intended for.

Edited by KiOgon

Hi ,if it,s apex roof across the strings,top to bottom then it,s following the camber of the neck and that,s fine.
If it,s tilted lengthwise up and down ,it,s wonky looking but shouldn,t affect the sound,just reset the screws as above.Plug the holes and redrill small pilot holes and screw in or stick a bit of mouse mat under the foam on the side that,s down and pack it out a bit.