Why become a member? ×

The BIG Jazz Bass Shootout / Comparison

Bass Pedal Geek

After [url="http://bass-pedals.com/fender-precision-bass/index.html"]The BIG Precision Bass Shootout[/url] a few month back, I received a lot of requests for doing a similar shootout with jazz basses.

This time there are 5 passive Fender Jazz basses:

Plus a Fodera Emperor 5 that has been built as closely to a jazz as a custom Fodera comes - bolt-on neck,single coils and 21 frets rather then 24.

Just for fun I also included a Nordy P/J5, but if you find that totally inapproriate in a Jazz shootout, just skip that part ;-)

Both the Fodera and the Nordy are recorded in 3 different modes:
- Passive
- Active (but preamp 100% neutral)
- On Steroids (Bass & Treble boost of approx. 20%)

So there should be a lot of potential disccusion topics here:
- Lightweight vs Heavy (from 8.8 lbs to 12.1 lbs)
- Rosewood vs Maple
- Vintage vs Modern
- Passive vs Active
- 60's pickup spacing vs 70's pickup spacing
- etc.

As for stings, please note that it's the exact same set of brand new nickel rounds that is on every bass in the shootout. But hey the details are all in here:

[url="http://bass-pedals.com/jazz-bass-shootout/"]The BIG Jazz Bass Shootout[/url]

Hope to get a good debate going!

• 3 weeks later...

...i really appreciate such threats, although i do have the impression i cant contribute anything substantial to the discussion. i can only say: very well prepared comparison. i enjoyed it much. thank you for the time and work you put in.

actually i find it remarkable how good a jazz bass sounds to my ears everytime i hear it. to me the differences were subtle, even with headphones. the 1972 and 2008 and the Nordy differed the most in my opinion and i favored the 1972 model with its bite and articulate bridge sound. i also found the Nordy very interesting, because i didnt expected this nasally tone... which i liked!

so thanks again for you shootout!

have a good one,
KNURRR

Thanks for posting this - very interesting especially as I am deliberating about putting in an order for a custom built Jazz type and so have been thinking about pickup spacing, maple v rosewood etc. To me this shows that there are clear differences when you bring all these factors into play e.g. difference between the '66 and the '72, but there is still that fundamental Jazz tone. Where I think you would notice the difference is in a full band mix, where the clarity and extra bite of the '72 might cut through a bit better. I recently picked up a nice maple neck '74 Jazz which has a similar character as your '72, and it's the first Jazz I've owned that really does punch through in a mix. That said, the '66 has a lovely warmth to the tone, so if you have space in the mix to hear it, would be a good option. Must say I found the Fodera unimpressive.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1435525786' post='2809763']
Thanks for putting this together :)

I skipped over the fodera (active) and the nordy. Hope that's ok but wanted to stick with the actual passive jazzes.

It was between the 66 and the 08 for me, but I think the 08 just about took it. All sounded great though.
[/quote]

That's kind of interesting as they may be the two basses of the (passive) bunch that sound the most different (to me anyway). But maybe you prefer each of them for different reasons?

Great work! It must have taken ages to put that together. Thanks very much.

I do love the sound of the '72, although the 2008 is close.

The big impression for me is that the differences are subtle. So really, they all sound fantastic. I love the sound of a jazz bass.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1437171076' post='2824294']
Great work! It must have taken ages to put that together. Thanks very much.

I do love the sound of the '72, although the 2008 is close.

The big impression for me is that the differences are subtle. So really, they all sound fantastic. I love the sound of a jazz bass.

Frank.
[/quote]

Thanks. Well, the most time-consuming part was seapping the same set of strings across all the basses :-)

Other than that, it was pure fun! :-)