Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM v BTA 400

Kevin Dean

Can you really hear a difference ? really ?
years ago I had a group of friends & I A / Bd a Mesa Boogie 400+ against a Trace Elliot Mrk 6 via a Ampeg 8 x 10 , I did shape the EQ on the Trace Elliot to emulate the Mesa sound .The thing is I asked my friends to try both with there backs to the amp while I switched between the two & everyone got it wrong & some of these guys play for a living .
So are these Valve amps worth the extra ?

Yes you can hear the difference, live onstage.

I did an A/B comparison of my ABM and BTA and the BTA has that valve "heft" from the valve power amp. The ABM is very close to it but the BTA does have the edge :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1433850029' post='2794500']
So are these Valve amps worth the extra ?
[/quote]

For me simply yes. Ive tried all concoction of pedals, emulators, hyrbrids etc....IF you want the valve sound (and i fully get that not everyone does) then it HAS to be a valve amp

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433877143' post='2794827']
I'd agree with this. Nothing matches the 'all-valve bounce'. I just wish they weren't so heavy...
[/quote]

Perhaps they could be made with unobtainium like in Avatar, although that would make them even more expensive, and probably involve some kind of alien genocide. Or something.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1433884643' post='2794916']
Perhaps they could be made with unobtainium like in Avatar, although that would make them even more expensive, and probably involve some kind of alien genocide. Or something.
[/quote]

It would be worth it.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1434008921' post='2795804']
Norman Watt Roy was using one on Later with Jules H a few months back & out of all the bands His was the worst sound ? They look fantastic though .
[/quote]

Once you play through a PA or, in this case, a TV broadcast, the DI signal and the soundguy become more important than a miked amp, IMHO.

Edited by gillento

• 2 weeks later...

On those amps the DI probably goes thru the transformer?
Anyway, I think the ABM 500 is already very "boomy" and "wooly", no idea about how that preamp would work with a tube power stage.
I have the 427 myself but it's got a Bassman-style tube preamp. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it.
The power stage makes a big difference, though. Expecially on dynamics. You dig into the strings, the amp gives it back - more than on SS amps.

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1435175468' post='2806307']
On those amps the DI probably goes thru the transformer?
Anyway, I think the ABM 500 is already very "boomy" and "wooly", no idea about how that preamp would work with a tube power stage.
I have the 427 myself but it's got a Bassman-style tube preamp. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it.
The power stage makes a big difference, though. Expecially on dynamics. You dig into the strings, the amp gives it back - more than on SS amps.
[/quote]

I think the BTA power stage has more bite and zing to it actually, the ABM stage feels like it has a softer transient response. The BTA is the best bass amp I've ever used, just damn big and heavy...!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1435175468' post='2806307']
[/quote]

I have found this to be the case with every amp I've used that had a valve power stage. It's more alive, somehow.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435180143' post='2806366']

I have found this to be the case with every amp I've used that had a valve power stage. It's more alive, somehow.
[/quote]

Yup. Remind me why I am selling mine..... :/