Why become a member? ×

DIY sustainer?

Owen

I made a lash-up for guitar using a small speaker attached to the head of the guitar running from the speaker out on the amp. It worked brilliantly, but the little speaker wasn't up to it power-wise, and eventually fizzled out. Great fun to play though!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1433922979' post='2795021']
I made a lash-up for guitar using a small speaker attached to the head of the guitar running from the speaker out on the amp. It worked brilliantly, but the little speaker wasn't up to it power-wise, and eventually fizzled out. Great fun to play though!
[/quote]

I've done exactly that trick with some headphones taped around the headstock...great feedback at bedroom levels :)

The circuit from diy fever should work, in theory. I think you'd need to tweak it a bit.

Edited by ahpook

Thanks everyone for input so far. I will certainly not be doing this myself as I am tech clueless, but I have a friend who is more than up to the task. As it happens he is using the amp recommended in this project https://www.facebook.com/TheJAMJaramps?pnref=story

• 2 months later...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1433940133' post='2795263']
I've done exactly that trick with some headphones taped around the headstock...great feedback at bedroom levels :)

The circuit from diy fever should work, in theory. I think you'd need to tweak it a bit.
[/quote]

i what way tweak it?

Ta

It shouldn't need a very big amp to make it work. I have Fernandes Pie-zo bass which IIRC has a 2W amp driving a built-in speaker all powered by a PP3 battery. At full volume the speaker produces enough output to make the strings vibrate and go into infinite sustain.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1433920303' post='2795001']
I've tried an E Bow on a bass and it didn't have enough power to work so I do think you'd need to turn up the amplification.
[/quote]

When I knew where it was, I had a bass-eBow. That was useless on one setting but worked fine on the other.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing some lovely demos of ebow on fretless basses i have been drawn to the idea.

I reckon a variable speed dildo or vibrator in hardened plastic would do just as good job as an ebow. I reckon it would be better actually because of its shape you could play chords with it.

I know if i sat down to google whats available on the market, somebody will come in and find me looking at sex toys and its not exactly convincing to be looking at rampant rabbits to help with a musical performance. "yeah john, sure you want a dildo for your bass playing".... Any thoughts?

[quote name='johnbassman' timestamp='1442528061' post='2867655']
After seeing some lovely demos of ebow on fretless basses i have been drawn to the idea.

I reckon a variable speed dildo or vibrator in hardened plastic would do just as good job as an ebow. I reckon it would be better actually because of its shape you could play chords with it.

I know if i sat down to google whats available on the market, somebody will come in and find me looking at sex toys and its not exactly convincing to be looking at rampant rabbits to help with a musical performance. "yeah john, sure you want a dildo for your bass playing".... Any thoughts?
[/quote]

It certainly works on the guitar. I recall seeing one of the post-Robert Smith guitarists in Souxsie & The Banshees using one. However if you want infinite sustain and the ability to play chords you might be better off waiting to see if they manage to solve all the issues with the mark 2 version of the [url="http://www.gizmotron.com"]Gizmotron[/url].

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='johnbassman' timestamp='1442528061' post='2867655']

[/quote]

Both Alexander Hacke (bass) and Jochen Arbeit (guitar), of Einsturzende Neubauten, use vibrators on their instruments. You'll find guitar pickups can pickup on the whine of the motors.

I think this video has Alex using one:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0KF1FUFnCc[/media]

• 2 weeks later...