Why become a member? ×

Advice needed on bass purchase

Trimmo91

Hi, I've owner a cheap ply bass for a few months. Has been great for getting to grips with the instrument. I now want to upgrade, most probably to a hybrid.

I mainly play arco and want to avoid a nasally tone.
Here are my current options:
https://m.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_22_02.htm
Or
http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/product.php?id_product=985

My previous bass was from Thomann and I found their services fantastic.

I am also tempted by the Thomann 33 carved bass, but would hate the idea costly repairs in the future as im a uni student.
https://m.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_33_02.htm

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

If you mainly play arco it might be worth considering upgrading your bow first rather than upgrading your bass(you don't give any info on the bow you are using), it might also be worth a look at your choice of strings (you don't mention whether you have changed them out from factory standard ones) and choice of rosin.

Have you had any setup work done on your current instrument by a luthier, or is it still in the same state it arrived from thomann?

Yes, as SubsonicSimpleton says,
The choice of bow is also important
and maybe it's also down to technique
and strings would certainly effect the sound & tone

Some strings like nylon coated or wrapped can sound dreadful when bowed....
Lots of research is needed before big purchases in the world of DB

Re your choice, I've heard good reports of both Thomann and Gedo
But I think a lot of BC'ers really like Gedo

Good luck :)

I am using a very good quality wooden bow, that I do not know much about that I am borrowing from a fellow student at university.

I am using Presto Balance Hybrid Medium Gauge Strings

Pops Rosin
All of these elements work really well for me, I am comfortable in my playing but looking to have a bass suitable to potentially play in my universities orchestra next year.

I wouldn't let fear of expensive repairs put you off a carved instrument if that's what you really want. Unless you're very unlucky, the worst climate related damage is likely to be the occasional open seam which is a cheap and quick repair. Good insurance will cover any accidental damage outside of that, too.

Im not saying that im currently suffering from an exagerated nasal tone (though my G string is a bit nasally) but when i get a new bass i want to avoid the nasal sound that apparently the Thomann basses hace

Edited by Trimmo91

I've spent a huge amount of time reading the doublebass forums on talkbass, and reoccurring opinion amongst the orchestral players is pretty much "I would rather play a cheap ply bass with a really nice bow than play an expensive carved bass with a cheap and nasty bow". Most amateur orchestras will be so happy to have a double bass player for their section that they probably won't be too fussy about the bass you are playing (near to me, groups that specify grade 8 as minimum entry standard for violinists are willing to entertain pretty much any double bass player with a pulse and waive the sub fees that they charge everyone else to cover rehearsal venue hire).

If you want to roll the dice on a mail order, then mikman over on talkbass is the go to guy for advice about thomann and their mostly Strunal and Hora offerings.

I would suggest that maybe seeing a luthier about getting your soundpost adjusted/refitted and maybe trying a different G string to address that issue with your current instrument is worth investigating - it shouldn't be an expensive option. It would allow you to stockpile some cash and take your time to track down and play some bows and basses in person and find something that you are really going to be happy with in the long term.

OK that sounds like good advice. I am happy with my plywood, it's nice to play but I worry that the sound it projects would not be suitable to partake in an orchestra with, and as I said the G string is rather nasally, but soundpost adjustment and string experimentation would be useful.

I have spoken to MIKMAN who said that the Thomann basses are very often found with nasal tones because of the thick tops. It was his response to me that raised this question, because I would like to hear someone's experiences with these Thomann basses. i have done a lot of reading and searching through these forums, but to no avail, so I reluctantly posted this question.

The one issue I have is that an instrument is sort of an investment. I know that I could spend a lot of money getting my ply to sound amazing, to then sell it for nothing and lose a lot of money, when I could sell untouched, apart from strings, for almost the same price I paid, put it towards a hybrid or carved bass, spend money on that in the long term, get it to sound a play amazingly in many different musical contexts and either have it for life or potentially sell it for good money many years down the line.

A cheap Thomann 111E ply seems less worth spending money on that a European made Hybrid or Carved bass, or a Chines/Koren Hybrid form Gedo.