Why become a member? ×

Radial Bassone OD

Floyd Pepper

I've been intrigued by this box - http://www.tonebone.com/bassboneod.php

So much so, that it gets it's first gig tonight so I'll let you know how it goes. (appeared to work well in rehearsals)

The thought of a two channel pre-amp (one for acoustic and one for electric), a DI, effects loop,HPF filter, tuner output, mute and Piezo boost all in one box seems to answer all my wishes in one go.

I'll report back later but keen to see if anyone else is using this with their DB?
Cheers,
Jim

I wanted the Bassbone V2, but it looks like it is not beng released in the UK until all of the V1s have been sold. I did look at the OD, but felt that the V2 would be more what I wanted.
In the end I got Bright Onion to make a simpler selector/loop switch without gain controls. It is working fine, but am still keeping an eye on these. I am interested to hear how it goes - please update ASAP!

So, one gig under my belt with the Bassbone OD and here's a quick review;

My set up was exactly as the diagram on the Radial website with passive Jazz bass in channel B and my upright in channel A.
Di out to the PA and using a small 1x12 combo for on stage monitoring and two pedals in the effects loop ( MXR Micro Amp and Zoom MS60B multi effects) + Korg pitchblack in the tuner output.

Initial comments are that it did exactly what I hoped for. Easy to switch channels and the separate gains and EQ for each channel meant that once set up, the sound guy seemed to be a happy bunny. I would say that my DB sounded as good as when I ran it through my Fishman Pro (which is what I was hoping for) and based on lasts nights venue (Boomy stage with a bouncy floor), there was no feedback problems. (I used the HPF at 150Hz). I also received some good comments from the audience!

Most of my niggles came with the effects loop (which I sometimes use with the Jazz). The 'always on' dip switch created a rather unpleasant hum which also appeared when I selected the MXR pedal manually so maybe I'll move them to the front of the channel input rather than the effects loop to see if that solves it.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that it does take a 15v power supply so not able to use my existing pedal board 9 v daisy chain.

Other than that, it's a very solid piece of kit and does what it says on the tin.
Two more gigs on Saturday so let's see how it goes.
Cheers.

• 6 months later...

I have the basswitch. I have been using it for DB/bass guitar duties. It is a lovely piece of kit. It churns out enough level to drive a power amp. I cannot speak about the tonebone but I did try a TB EZ pre which has the same switching thing as the basswitch but it does not drive a power amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't comment on the Bassbone OD, but I've been using Bassbone V2 for a while now and it's a great piece of kit. Does the job very well, balancing electric and double bass perfectly. The loop feature really helps, and along with the tuner output gets loads of junk out of the direct signal path. Also the low end filter on the DB channel is very effective. Seems very tough too. Hope this helps. Cheers, Dave B.

I also went for the Bassbone V2 after I found I needed gain control between the two inputs which my Bright Onion (see earlier post in this thread) didn't have.

I've only used it a couple of times so far and it seems to be everything I will ever need. The 15A PSU was a pain though - had to add a 13A socket to my pedalboard.

• 5 months later...