Why become a member? ×

B-string rattle / ringing noise coming from headstock?

rhythmbug

Got a problem on my Warwick Corvette Std 5 string that is starting to drive me nuts. There is a rattle that sounds like a loose part is vibrating whenever the B string is struck, particularly on the Open B. All the other strings are fine.

I only noticed it when recording direct to DAW because it's quite subtle, but now I can't help but notice whenever playing through headphones or acoustically.

I have tried every obvious remedy:
- string is wound fine, from top to bottom, no overlaps
- string is straight with no twists
- all string posts and machine heads are tight
- saddle is aligned
- no difference when nut or action is raised
- tried 2 brands of B string; Warwick EMP (.135) and Sadowski Blue (.130). The EMPs have less ring but it's still there. Boith have tapered ends - could this be the issue?

I have owned this bass for 8 years and never noticed it before. To be clear - it is only noticeable when playing acoustically or through headphones when every squeak can be heard. Through an amp, it's inaudible.

The Sadowski strings are quite new so I don't want to chuck them in the bin. The EMPs were extremely disappointing, the tone went dead nearly right away, although the B did have a lot of guts. My only next avenue is try a non-tapered set. Unless anyone has a suggestion to make? I can upload a sound file to demonstrate if needed.

Cheers

Mike

Having spent God knows how long diagnosing string buzzes and rattles like this over the years, my method now is thus: Don't let it get to you, don't focus on it, don't think about it. Ignore it, keep playing as usual and eventually it will go away. You're welcome. :)

If it does it only on the open B and not when you fret the string I wonder if there's a problem with the nut slot? When you say the slightly heavier gauge strings (the EMPs) have less 'ring' this might be because the extra .005" keeps it sitting in the slot better. You could try putting a small piece of paper in the slot under the string to see if this reduces/eliminates the buzz; if it does then the slot is probably a bit too wide.

Edited by HowieBass

Do you get the sound when you use a different B string? I had this issue with a low B on a set of Payson Strings a while back. Sounded like there was a snare attached to the headstock but everything was visibly perfect. Luckily he sent me out 2 new B strings and gave me a nice discount on another pack of strings (customer service or what?).

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1434101345' post='2796644']
Do you get the sound when you use a different B string?
[/quote]

OP has said he's used different brands and sizes of B string... :)

I once traced such a noise to the bridge... rattly spring. A dab of Vaseline sorted it.
That's if Corvettes have saddle-adjuster bolt springs - I'm not familiar with the bass. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1434036528' post='2796176']
could it be the truss rod rattling around? I had a very similar problem, couldn't figure it out, the guy in the music shop gave the rod the tiniest twist and the rattle went away
[/quote]
[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1434040664' post='2796220']
I did consider that, but I've been making truss rod adjustments to straighten the neck lately and each time it hasn't made any difference to the noise.
[/quote]

I had a similar truss rod issue once and it diagnosed thus - Hold and completely mute all the strings with your right hand around the neck then with your left hand tap the back of the neck with your finger behind the nut area. If it rattles then there's something loose inside the neck.

Hope that helps?

Cheers, Jon

Thanks so much for all the suggestions peeps!

It very well might be the tuner, but no amount of holding it or tightening it makes a difference. That description of it sounding like a snare rattle is spot on. That's what it sounds like. The saddle screws are fine.

I will check later but presumably the tuners can be interchanged? If so, I'll swap the B tuner with another and see if that solves it.

The nut is Just-a-nut III (brass), probably unlikely any issue there. I did bung a bit of paper underneath but it made no difference.

I was playing through a practice amp yesterday and it sounded very noticeable, so it's only at full volume it gets "lost" in the noise of rock :)

• 2 weeks later...