Why become a member? ×

New DB on the way from Thomann - "kerbside" delivery?

franzbassist

So, I have a new Thomann (Hora) upright on the way from our German cousins, and apparently it's being sent via a freight export company who will deliver it "to the 'kerbside' of your property. Delivery drivers are not contracted or insured to bring goods into your property."

Thats'll fine and dandy, and they use Schenker Spedition, but does this mean I'll be confronted by some enormous pallet-based package? If you've had a DB delivered this way, please let me know what to expect!

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Don't worry. It will appear at your door in a massive box that you will easily be able to lift into your living space so you can unpack it (the box was big enough for me to stand in and I am 6'1"). Double basses aren't heavy, they are just big/unweildy. They tend to come with the bridge collapsed so you have to set it up yourself (line it up with the notches in the f-holes. It's easy; takes two minutes and no tools are required). You will be playing it within ten minutes of the door kocking.

Enjoy.

I had an electric upright delivered that way, and even that was a pain.
First of all, I hope you live on a wide street, because the big trucks they carry Thomann's large loads in can't negotiate narrow streets and/or bends. I live on a narrow, near-cul-de-sac back street. The driver who delivered my upright parked half a mile away, and had to excuse himself from carrying the instrument at least as far as my front door because he was on his own and couldn't leave the truck unattended. Cue yours truly making use of her gym-toned muscles (heh...) to lift and slowly carry her new NS NXT5 home.
The bass was in a tall, narrow cardboard box.
Good luck.

Thanks for the replies folks. I live along a fairly narrow country lane, but it doesn't seem to stop lorries using it! We've had skips delivered to our house before without any trouble, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Yes, I really hope the sound post doesn't fall over!

Thomann DB box outside my door .

It wouldn't fit through my door so I had to unpack there on the stairs as quietly as I could to avoid the nosey neighbours . :lol:

I could carry it on my own , it was just taller than the doorframe and there wasn't enough room to tip the top down to get it in .
Mine arrived with the fingerboard loose and the bridge in bubblewrap ;

The (claimed ) ebony board was about the same weight as the rest of the bass .
I glued it on with hide glue.
It has all been fine for the 2 1/2 years I've had it .
HTH

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1434214682' post='2797730']
Hope the cat enjoyed the massive box.
[/quote]

.... or did you get a free cat with the bass? ;)
If I tell my wife she gets a free cat with every bass I buy,
I can have as many basses as I want ;)

Somehow, I don't like the idea of the fingerboard being separate
Hope that was easy enough to fit properly & permanently?

Enjoy your new DB Mr walbassist :)

3-part reply ;

Yes , the box did merit investigation on the cat's part , but she did tend to prefer ;
an empty bass hard case left open on the floor, or,
a freshly warmed up combo :

The fingerboard gluing mission ;
Firstly I must point out that this was the cheapest of the range of Thomann DBs . I could not find any hide glue down here in this one-horse town so I ordered some granules online . Whilst waiting I acclimatised the bass in the living room with a bowl of water by the radiator and filed a few sharp edges off the pressed brass tuners , lubricated them and the endpin thumbscrew with vaseline and scraped/cleaned off the old glue on the neck and fboard .
Hide glue is applied hot and sets as it cools , so I warmed up the fboard on the radiator whilst the glue was heating up so as to give extra working time . When the glue was ready I just brushed it on both sides , lined it up , clamped it and wiped off the excess . If ever it needs to come off , a wallpaper steamer will soften the glue again .

3rd part ;
Fingers crossed for safe deliveries to Messrs Walbassist and Geddy's nose . :)