Why become a member? ×

Hello from up north

adamg67

Hi all, I thought I'd say hello here before diving in.

I've been playing guitar and bass (and a bit of piano for a while) for a good bit more than 20 years now, on and off. Mainly on in my twenties, off again in my thirties (why? I have no idea, silly really) and on again in my forties, which I'm getting near the end of now. Switched back to bass again last year and realised why it was always my #1 instrument, it just feels right.

I got rid of my old Hohner headless when I started a band last year and bought an Overwater by Tanglewood 5 string, lured by the Overwater name and the fact that they were selling them off half price. Bit of a mistake, it's taken some sorting out - first one went back with dodgy electronics, second one developed the same thing so had them all swapped out by Tanglewood (under warranty). The neck needed some fiddling by a pro as well to get it sensible. It's ended up a decent bass after all that though. I've just added a slightly beaten up but nice playing Ibanez SR506, which could end being my main bass - I'm not sure if it sounds as good though, but it plays really well, so maybe if I like it I'll trade it for something like a BTB.

I'm playing through a Sansamp RBI, which I'm still tweaking but it gives some pretty good sounds. That's going through a Crown XLR 1500 class D power amp - can't believe how light it is! I don't use anything like the 1500 watts with 8ohm speakers, I've got MarkBass Traveler 2x10 and 1x15 and they sound really nice together. I use a POG-2 as well on a lot of stuff, to thicken the sound up if I'm playing higher up.

I'm playing a four piece doing original stuff, sort of rock / blues / funk, we have a few bits up on the web but we need to do some more demos, as they don't really give you a feel of what our full set is like. We're a mix of people with a mix of influences and it seems to work. Check it our if you're interested, [url="http://studio13.rocks"]http://studio13.rocks[/url] (I did the web site as well, as it happens). I also mixed the demo tracks, and lets just say they could sound better, but they will do for now.

First gig was a couple of weeks ago, next one is next week, we've got about a 40 minute set of our stuff now and more in the pipeline, so things are just starting to take off. I'm no expert on the bass, but what I do seems to work for the band, and meantime I'm still learning all the time.

So, see you all around basschat.

Cheers! Adam