Why become a member? ×

Put Windows in "airplane mode" when running DAW?

ras52

Hi Guys, I'd like to stop my machine (Win 8.1) from doing stuff like running virus scans and downloading updates. Would this be as simple as suspending the networking and AV services? From a quick search, it looks like I could write an "airplane mode" script using a series of [font=courier new,courier,monospace]sc [/font]commands.... any thoughts? (I'm a dab hand at *nix scripting but am purely a user when it comes to Windows.)

W8.1 user here. I just use the anti-virus that comes with W8 (Windows defender).
When using my DAW, I just turn off (disable) my WiFi, turn off anti virus and firewall.
If I need to update any music software Apps (rarely, and I wait to I need a bunch of stuff), I just turn it all on again ([u]less than a minute to do[/u]).
I have set windows updates to let me know when windows needs updating, and let me choose when and what to download (again this only happens when I am on-line).
So when off-line, not much running in the background, other than essential windows stuff.

I have read folks on here saying there is no need to turn it all off with Quadcore i7's.
But I have VSL VE5 Pro running as a server, and it certainly all interfered with that.