Why become a member? ×

Cocobolo f/board and Oil

ZenBasses

Hey, just some advice from all you knowledgeable people.

I have my new Shuker now since November. It has the most amazingly figured cocobolo fingerboard.. Oodles of sap wood in it for good measure.

Jon said after 6 months I will need to oil the fingerboard.

I was wondering which oil to use?

I have a bottle of Dunlop lemon oil that I have always used on my basses. Would this be suitable?

Or should I be looking more at Danish Oil, tung, linseed oil etc etc?

I have a old tin of Danish Oil that has never been open.. Kept in the garage.. Dunno if this is okay to use.

Any help greatly welcomed.. :D

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1434221034' post='2797788']
Hey, just some advice from all you knowledgeable people.

I have my new Shuker now since November. It has the most amazingly figured cocobolo fingerboard.. Oodles of sap wood in it for good measure.

Jon said after 6 months I will need to oil the fingerboard.

I was wondering which oil to use?

I have a bottle of Dunlop lemon oil that I have always used on my basses. Would this be suitable?

Or should I be looking more at Danish Oil, tung, linseed oil etc etc?

I have a old tin of Danish Oil that has never been open.. Kept in the garage.. Dunno if this is okay to use.

Any help greatly welcomed.. :D
[/quote]

Assuming it's unfinished (not sealed with a lacquer or hard oil finish) - like most ebony or rosewood fingerboards - it will gradually season and adjust to the environment. This is probably not desirable since the fingerboard has already been seasoned correctly by the builder or wood shop . . . so there are a few options: You can finish the fretboard, although this is a big step - and pretty much irreversible... What I have done with great results is use linseed oil on unfinished wood. It's for cricket bats and things, I use the raw version. With varnish or other resin based finishes you may build up a long lasting finish, which may be perfect, but I would test it on a similar piece of wood before using it on a valuable fingerboard.
I'd ask the maker (Mr Shuker) of the bass what he would recommend.

A small amount of Danish oil applied every couple of months will build up to a lovely, hard wearing, satin finish.

Alternatively, look for some natural beeswax and apply a couple of coats every few months. Similar to oil but over the years you'll get a lovely glassy finish that'll really show off the wood!

Every time I change my strings I'll clean the fretboard and frets and apply a coat of beeswax. It's getting really lush and it'll only get better.