Why become a member? ×

NBD: Great present - Jetglo Ric 4003

tredders

Slightly unbelievable day today. I get a phone call from a friend (who's in a pretty well known band) who asks me if he can pop round for a cuppa, as he has a present for me. He turns up and says "I know you've always liked this, and I was actually going to sell it, but I thought you might want it instead. Here you go."

So, I'm now the very proud owner of this beautiful jetglo Ric 4003 from 1999. It's immaculate, and had the nice Ric case and all the case candy. I'd been tempted by a 4003 on a recent trip to the US, but didn't like the neck on the new models. This one has the Ric neck that I remember loving from a previous 4001 - quite slim, and very fast. Cranked up through the Bassman and it's pure Foxton / Joy Division (and yes, I know both Foxton and Hooky played different basses throughout their careers, but you get the idea!).

I must have spent about 5 hours solid playing it, and it's just great. Today has been a good day!

Excuse the terrible iPhone pic below, but I took a quick snap earlier.

Edited by tredders

Thanks for all the comments. Feeling very lucky indeed with this. Had another long play this morning, and it's already feeling like an old friend.

Now, the important question: leave the roundwounds on there, or put my usual TI flags on for that Macca sound?

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1434317118' post='2798657']
Thanks for all the comments. Feeling very lucky indeed with this. Had another long play this morning, and it's already feeling like an old friend.

Now, the important question: leave the roundwounds on there, or put my usual TI flags on for that Macca sound?
[/quote]

Personally I'd stick with the rounds and go for the Foxton feel. If rounds are your thing I'd stick with them, I've never got on with rounds despite trying to.

• 1 year later...