Why become a member? ×

Using barefaced for guitar

Prime_BASS

I realise this could have gone in the guitar section but since it covers a bass amp and I'd get more response here that's why it's here.

I realise it's fully possible and useable to use as a guitar cab but how exactly should I go about this?
I currently have access to a few guitars, no guitar amp though and some effects(mainly OD and distortions)
I'd want to get an as authentic tone as possible using the cab so either modelling or a guitar amp into it with some kind of cab sim?

Anyone else used and gigged a barefaced can for guitar work?

My guitarist is insanely jealous that my behemoth sound comes from a Polly pocket weighted rig.

If you are using distortions, I;d be careful with any cabinet that has a tweeter in it - you'll probably find that you'll want to turn the tweeter level all the way down or off. If you are using the likes of the Big baby or Big Twin II, then I'd treat them more like a PA cabinet (as they do that job incredibly well) and run some sort of speaker simulator app or pedal in the effects loop before running the guitar signal out to the cabinet. You may find things sound a bit brittle and raspy without. Anyone who has plugged a high gain guitar distortion pedal straight in to a PA will know what I mean! Euurghhh!!!

Edited by dood

TBH because using the correct speaker is so much a part of creating guitar tone, it's hard to imagine that a bass cab could do a good job without considerable EQ re-shaping or using a modeller with a cab sim that's designed to run direct to PA. I have tried bass combos for guitar in the past, and universally they sounded lousy (thin, flabby and uninspiring) but that's not to say with the right tweaking you couldn't make it sound tolerable. Guitar is all about the mids, and subtle variations of them.

If you really want to do this then I'd suggest picking up a modeller like a Behringer V-amp or POD and running it through your bass amp with the EQ on the amp set flat and the modeller set to cab sim. You could also try an analogue modeller like the Harley Benton/Joyo American Sound amp sim pedal - they have a very effective EQ that might allow you to dial out some of the harshness, and they're only 30 euros..

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1434294646' post='2798367']My guitarist is insanely jealous that my behemoth sound comes from a Polly pocket weighted rig.[/quote]

The prototype Barefaced guitar cab is sitting here, I just need to finish off the electronics and fine tune a few other details...

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1434360778' post='2798829']
The prototype Barefaced guitar cab is sitting here, I just need to finish off the electronics and fine tune a few other details...
[/quote]

Guitarists are incredibly rough on handles ...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434365310' post='2798881']
... but who the heck ever carries their Twin by its unique handle, eh..? :lol:
[/quote]

Indeed, the time honoured manner seems to be to hoist the thing like a bag of cement whilst grunting prodigiously, then stand around clutching your groin for ten minutes. I'd still like one though, even if it only came out a couple of times a year while I gigged my smaller combo!

Guest bassman7755

Taking the amp&speaker sim into full range cab will give a functional rather than great sound. Guitar cabs contribute to the sound in specific ways that speaker sims generally don't emulate (such as the distortion, and speaker-transformer resonances), I might use such a setup if (theoretically speaking) I was playing multiple instruments in a band but as a primary guitar rig - no.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1434375608' post='2798999']
Funny how everyone is saying 'no' apart from the 1 person who has actually done this?

:mellow:
[/quote]

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1434296440' post='2798395']
I remember one of the early midget reviews mentioning that the reviewer's guitarist was VERY impressed with it if that's any help...
[/quote]

Not exactly direct personal experience there, versus at least a couple of us that have played guitars through bass rigs.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1434382032' post='2799063']
Not exactly direct personal experience there, versus at least a couple of us that have played guitars through bass rigs.
[/quote]

But also ...

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1434363514' post='2798860']
I used my old GT200 + BFC rig with guitar and some fuzz pedals and it sounded incredible to my ears.
[/quote]

Not really OT, but my Bassman 50 into my 2x15 sounds very good for guitar, to me. (straight, no pedals, usually a Samick 335 look-alike...). Some bass rigs are guitar-friendly (depending on what one plays, of course...).

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434382829' post='2799074']
But also ...

Not really OT, but my Bassman 50 into my 2x15 sounds very good for guitar, to me. (straight, no pedals, usually a Samick 335 look-alike...). Some bass rigs are guitar-friendly (depending on what one plays, of course...).
[/quote]

Fair play in that case - skimmed up & down the thread a couple of times looking to see if I'd missed anything, but somehow overlooked that one. :P

Is that a valve bassman 50? Even so, you ARE a drummer. ;)

But seriously, old bass gear from the 60s and 70s was little more than guitar stuff toughened up to cope with the lower frequencies mostly. Very very different from a modern ported cab and SS amp.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1434386499' post='2799120']...

Is that a valve bassman 50? Even so, you ARE a drummer. ;)

But seriously, old bass gear from the 60s and 70s was little more than guitar stuff toughened up to cope with the lower frequencies mostly. Very very different from a modern ported cab and SS amp.
[/quote]

Yes indeed; this one ...

You're right, of course, about dedicated bass stuff being more suited to bass, in general, but folks' tastes vary quite a lot, and anyway, rules are made to be broken, no..? :ph34r:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1434389004' post='2799140']
Yes indeed; this one ...

You're right, of course, about dedicated bass stuff being more suited to bass, in general, but folks' tastes vary quite a lot, and anyway, rules are made to be broken, no..? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Like talking religion in Off Topic? Oh, maybe not that rule (unless you happen to have the correct faith). ;)

That's a very fine guitar amp and cab you have there sir, very fine indeed. :)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1434402802' post='2799313']...
That's a very fine guitar amp and cab you have there sir, very fine indeed. :)
[/quote]

Why, thank'ee, kind sir. 'Old' school, though. I wonder why..? ;)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1434402802' post='2799313']
Like talking religion in Off Topic? Oh, maybe not that rule (unless you happen to have the correct faith). ;)
[/quote]

Now now, a gentle jibe between friends won't do [i]that [/i]much harm, will it..? 'Snot as if I was quoting scriptures or such. I'm well aware that it's a very touchy subject, though.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1434360778' post='2798829']

[/quote]

Alex email me yesterday, I want to know everything.