Why become a member? ×

Snap! - truss rod gone - advice?

goonieman

Hi All,

Schoolboy error: I've been doing my own setups for 20 years. Today the dreaded 'snap' finally caught up with me.

Long story short: any ideas on how to fix a 2007 Warwick bass neck - truss rod replacement?

the OLD warwick necks used to have replaceable trusses - but not anymore. Does it require heating the glue and lifting the board? EDIT: I found a youtube about the old warwick trusses with valuable info if anyone is interested just google it.

cheers

Edited by goonieman

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1434314163' post='2798630']
I've seen a guy iron the neck to get the fretboard off. Not for the fainthearted.

Is it a through-neck or bolt on?
[/quote]
Through neck or bolt on is a good question. Also I would be curious about, if I can get it apart, what will I fi d and can I fix it anyway?

Maybe Warwickhunt can help here. Otherwise you could ask Warwick support. Their prices won't be low.

As an owner of similar basses, how did this happen? Any warnings or silly errors?
Taking it as read here that you're no fool, so what you did is something we all can do.

Can you be sure the rod has actually snapped? it could be the nut stripping its thread and making a loud click as its tension is released. Could be worth just trying a replacement nut.
I'm not sure if this is true, but I think I read that the nuts are made of softer material than the rod, so if it strips, you can replace the nut, not the rod.
Good luck with this.

thanks guys. The issue was basic idiocy on my part - the key is to be wary of truss rods that get 'gunk' caught up in them and only move in ratchet amounts... I thought that last bit of the turn was just another ratchet step (like the previous seven or eight steps before it. Hard to explain.

As we all already know - if you encounter a lot of resistance - just STOP!

Anyway, its a bolt-on. I doubt its the nut. Taking to tech tomorrow. thanks again

You are not alone Goonieman, I had an oops last year on my G&L M2500, also having done 20 years of own setups without issue. If you are lucky you have stripped the thread and getting a new nut is a relatively easy and not a costly affair. As it happens my M2500 had a snapped truss rod just beneath the nut (I still think it was a design flaw). The fretboard had to be planed off, and replaced (by a lovely bit of birdseye maple :)...) at huge cost (300 quid in total).

Good luck!

If it makes you feel better. I've been there too. It was a cheap East German vintage bass with the old style truss rod where you have to bend the neck and wind the TR to take up the slack. I didn't know this and excess force happened and.... "bang".

There we go, one broken TR.

Probably cheaper to buy a used Streamer Standard BO (about £250) and use the neck off that, they have a proper German wenge/ovangkol Warwick neck. Can swap the TRC over too so it has the correct model.

EDIT: Like this - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Streamer-STD-Standard-Natural-finish-Made-in-Germany-/111642678081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fe6c1341&nma=true&si=K2%252FyWff15%252FzcYOQc1KWvkVBx0kE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url]

Edited by lemmywinks