Why become a member? ×

Has anyone got experience with the Sandberg Basic?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I've been playing bass for a little while and I've totally fallen in love with it. At the moment I'm using a cheap squire P-Bass as I wanted to be sure I was going to stick with it before investing serious money. As such I am now considering upgrading to a nice bass and I have my eye on a Sandberg Basic.

I've heard really good things about Sandberg in general but I am struggling to find much information on the basic series. Has anyone played / owned one? If so what are your thoughts on it in terms of build quality, sound and playability?

The alternatives I have been looking at are the higher-end Ibanez SR range, a Fender Jazz or perhaps a 2-EQ Music Man Stingray, but right now the Sandberg is really appealing to me so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

James

I had one! Cherry burst, 3 band Glockenlang preamp and Sandberg pickup (not delano). A very hi-fi sounding bass with a real snarl. Slim neck profile, sub 9lbs weight, balanced great on the strap and a great fit and finish. Nothing to complain about here. They are a steal for what they go for 2nd hand.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1434450326' post='2799619']
I had one! Cherry burst, 3 band Glockenlang preamp and Sandberg pickup (not delano). A very hi-fi sounding bass with a real snarl. Slim neck profile, sub 9lbs weight, balanced great on the strap and a great fit and finish. Nothing to complain about here. They are a steal for what they go for 2nd hand.
[/quote]

I'm thinking of ordering one new from Sandberg as its going to be my first 'serious' bass with a view to keeping it for many years so it'd be nice to have one in the exact color/config that I choose - but even then the price seems amazing considering what they are and how they are made when compared to most American factory made basses.

Out of interest, which pick-up configuration did you go with? I'm torn between the standard basic (single hum) and the Ken Taylor (double hum).

Sorry Naetharu, I realised I didn't reply to your question! It was the single PU model. Obviously not as flexible as a dual PU config but then again, it has a different flavour in itself with the pickup being right in the 'sweet spot'. Whether one or the other is down to personal preference. I would always choose a single H model of any Stingray type bass (bit more aggression)

[sub][quote name='40hz' timestamp='1435018427' post='2804780']
Sorry Naetharu, I realised I didn't reply to your question! It was the single PU model. Obviously not as flexible as a dual PU config but then again, it has a different flavour in itself with the pickup being right in the 'sweet spot'. Whether one or the other is down to personal preference. I would always choose a single H model of any Stingray type bass (bit more aggression)
[/quote][/sub]

[sub]Strangely enough I had a basic KT a few years back with the dual Delano pups. It played great but there was a darkness to the sound that I could never fully dial out, almost like I had the cabs wrapped in a blanket. I eventually moved it on and got a single H Stingray.[/sub]

that's really interesting. I've not thought about the fact that having a second pick up would move the first. I'm going to have to investigate this one a little bit more. in the meantime I've come across the bases from Maruszczyk which are also looking like a serious contender.

I had a blueburst single pick-up one. Beautiful slim neck with maple fingerboard, Delano humbucker and 3 band Knoll pre-amp. Lovely bass to play, nice and light and agree that it was quite modern/hifi sounding. Tried a Ken Taylor and it weighed a ton by comparison.
Also had a Cort Arona, which is a Sandberg Basic built by Cort. Sandberg worked very closely with Cort on this and it has Delano pick-ups, Sandberg hardware and pre-amp and if you cover the headstock up, no one can tell it isn' t a Sandberg, ( I know as I tried it with Drew from the Great British Bass Lounge. )
Worth a look as they are a lot cheaper.

I've owned one and it was a great bass. Single Pup redburst fantastic neck. bought it second hand but in immaculate/unused condition. You cant go wrong but id deffo look second hand. They don't seem to hold their price and are such a steal its criminal. Highly recommended

Edited by thebuckets

Yes, although used Basics don't come up for sale all that often - I've been waiting in vain for a secondhand 5er to come along for ages now!

To the OP: the Basschatter you really need to get advice from is TRBBoy - he has owned both Basics and Basic KTs, so can give you a detailed A/B on them. I'm surprised he hasn't popped up on this thread yet - maybe we should give him a shout.