Why become a member? ×

Double bass microphones

johnallan78

Ive joined a rockabilly band and have been getting into slap double bass.its not normally a technique i would use but i figure the more arrows in your quiver the better.anyway i would like to know if anyone has recommendations on a microphone for an upright,because ive just been sticking an sm57 in front of it(and thats at gigs where i get enough room to do that)its really less than satisfactory. i use a realist pickup and like the sound into the amp as well, so maybe a direct/mic blend would suit...any advice?i play alot of jazz and folk/acoustic stuff too so am not keen to completely overhaul my set up....cheers

A friend of mine (who is a BBC engineer and a D Bassist - if that has any relevance) did sound at a gig where the bassisy used an Audio Technica ATM350 which clipped onto the bridge. He also had Realist. He monitored off the Realist and put the AT through the PA. He said the sound was fabulous.

YMMV obviously.