Why become a member? ×

Urrrrgh damn you Mackie!!

mrtcat

Very grumpy.

Just splashed out on new PC for the studio only to find my Mackie 1640i isn't compatible with windows 8. It has a serial number starting 003 and according to the Mackie site the only driver software for that serial run is up to windows 7 only. Further research leads me to find that Mackie aren't going to provide any driver upgrades so there's nothing I can do. SO ANNOYING as it basically means my desk is gonna have to go and it's been a brilliant bit of kit.

Humph

But have you actually tried to install it? The vast majority of Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 even if the manufacturer doesn't state support for it (unless they have specifically said it does not work).

If it contains an OS version check, right click on the installer, go to properties, compatibility settings and set it to Windows 7 mode - this will fool the installer into thinking you have 7 installed and can help in some cases.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1434626923' post='2801286']
But have you actually tried to install it? The vast majority of Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 even if the manufacturer doesn't state support for it (unless they have specifically said it does not work).

If it contains an OS version check, right click on the installer, go to properties, compatibility settings and set it to Windows 7 mode - this will fool the installer into thinking you have 7 installed and can help in some cases.
[/quote]
this. i've had things running on out of date drivers just fine.
with plug and play these days it may install a working driver automatically

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1434629457' post='2801319']
if it is because of the IEEE-1394 firewire there may be away.
[/quote]

There is but it's going to involve hacking in legacy firewire drivers which Microsoft decided not to include or sign it for Windows 8 like they did for Windows 7.

I faced the exact same issues with a pair of Presonus firepods recently, the WIndows 8 firewire drivers are total junk for pro-audio, and you can only get stable performance if you hack in a driver from a previous version of windows, which requires booting the OS into a special untrusted mode whenever you use the devices.

I was not prepared to do that, so I eventually gave up and bought a standalone recorder instead.

In summary, Microsoft think Firewire is dead and they don't care about existing pro-audio users at at all :angry:

Edit - this thread should be titled damn you Microsoft, it's not really Mackies fault IMO.

Edited by 6v6

if you are using windows just for the music software ( which is prob best as you dont also want to use it for the home pc as too many things running will no doubt upset it)
then you wont want all the rubbish you get with win 8,
stick with 7 use it just for the program. and have another pc or pull out drive with win 8 on for home stuff.
easy.

Thanks guys.

The drivers are refusing to install having tried all the above. It seems mackie released a slightly upgraded version of the desk with new drivers which work with windows 8 but plan no driver changes for the original desk. I can't downgrade to windows 7 as my machine is an 8 machine and manufacturers warranty is voided if i run it on windows 7. There's quite a lot of discussion about this on the soundonsound forum and none of it puts Mackie in a good light. I just feel really cheated that they are making expensive desks like this with the intention of letting them become obsolete when operating systems evolve. It's like they just expect you to go "ah well time to splash £1500 n a new desk I guess".

Edited by mrtcat

Sorry to insert a sour note here, but it seems that the problem lies with the new PC, not with the desk. Starting from the premise 'if it ain't busted, don't fix it', why was the PC changed in the first place..? What kind of warranty would be dependant on the OS..? Will it no longer work running Windows 7..? Maybe you're dependant on decisions from others (boss..? IT manager..? Corporate decision..?), in which case I sympathise, but don't understand otherwise why the PC can't have another OS installed. Just sayin'; I'm sure you have the matter in hand, but it does strike me as curious.

I had no choice about changing the pc as my old one was damaged in a house move last year. We got compensated by the removals company and were happy at the time as my last PC was really old and slow. I now have a Dell with 16gb RAM and an i7 processor. Dell state that none of their Windows 8 hardware has been tested with Windows 7 software so they don't accept liability for problems encountered. I'm pretty sure it would work fine with Windows 7 but if anything goes wrong with the PC and Dell (not known for being the most helpful at the best of times) refuse to help because of me going against their advice I'll be up the creek somewhat.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1434736158' post='2802399']
I had no choice about changing the pc as my old one was damaged in a house move last year. We got compensated by the removals company and were happy at the time as my last PC was really old and slow. I now have a Dell with 16gb RAM and an i7 processor. Dell state that none of their Windows 8 hardware has been tested with Windows 7 software so they don't accept liability for problems encountered. I'm pretty sure it would work fine with Windows 7 but if anything goes wrong with the PC and Dell (not known for being the most helpful at the best of times) refuse to help because of me going against their advice I'll be up the creek somewhat.
[/quote]

I feel your pain, but personally I'd maybe swap out the hard drive and run under W7. If a problem arose major enough to warrant intervention, I'd pop the original drive back in and have it sorted. I can't think of much that could go so badly wrong, though; the chances are quite slim. Still, it's your affair, of course.

I'm toying with the idea of biting the bullet and just getting a new interface. I'm trying to compact down our live setup anyway and fancy a tablet controlled setup. Tempted to look at the Behringer X32 or even an X air 18 which can be controlled by iPad for live work and the unit can be used in the studio as an interface. I can use the Mackie in the rehearsal room I have but it just seems a little overkill for that.

We've a buddy with both of those; I helped him the other day to set up the wifi for controlling from the iPad. Once up and running (very easy...), I left him playing around like a kid with a new train set, whizzing faders up and down, and flipping through fx and sub-channels. Hardly a 'goodbye', he was so engrossed..! Excellent gear. When I think of the Crest consoles and such that they've replaced, with their scaffold tube cradles for tilting 'em into place..! Progress, that's for certain.
I'd just add that myself, I'm a bit too long in the tooth to handle these digitals with ease; I remain firmly 'old school' (that's to say, old..! :blush: )

Haha, I'm no spring chicken myself but I have a three yr old daughter to point me in the right direction with the tech. Thanks for your help tho, it's great to know this new fangled stuff is good.

I had the same problem with Focusrite liquid mix. so I stopped using it, it was a bad buy anyway more trouble than it was worth but it made me feel cheated.
You could always save a ghost image on another drive or there might even be a partition on the drive with a image already. Install windows 7. and you can go back to the original if needed.
if you can just move on.

Is this of any use? or worth investigating?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381092

Only three reviews regarding the chipset, but all good.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siig-NN-E20012-S2-SIIG-Firewire-PCI-E/dp/B000G6U8VY

Edited by lowdown

Thanks lowdown, it's not an issue with windows 8 and firewire for me. I am using the firewire port successfully with other hardware it's just the mixer that's causing a problem. The chap in the link almost certainly has the revised mixer which works with windows 8. As I have one of the original ones it only works with windows 7. I had a response from Mackie tech support saying I should try running the desk with a free driver called ASIO4ALL but I still can't get it working :-(

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1434977620' post='2804308']
Would that not void the warranty on his new PC, as any issues would be deemed as straying from the provided system.
[/quote]

I'm blurring the lines a little bit but technically the original OS would still be there ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1434729683' post='2802311']
I can't downgrade to windows 7 as my machine is an 8 machine and manufacturers warranty is voided if i run it on windows 7.
[/quote]

And how exactly they are going to know this ? - if its a desktop you can just buy a separate HD and install win 7 on it, something goes wrong then you just wack the original drive back in, in fact many modern PCs have a e-sata port so you would just need to plug it in and change the boot drive, or just fit a HD caddy into one of the cases front panel 5 1/4 inch slots (again just change the boot drive). If its a laptop then you can at any time factory reset to the original OS (the vast majority have a factory restore partition with the original OS on) leaving no trace of the win 7 install. And if you ever did return a PC for a fix under warranty (and extremely rare occurrence TBH) the first thing they will do is wipe the HD and reinstall the original OS.

Edited by bassman7755