Why become a member? ×

Filling holes left when changing tuners

tedmanzie

I've often wondered about using coloured wax filler sticks (furniture restoration/repair) to plug the occasional hole but not actually got round to trying it.
[url="http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Liberon_Wax_Filler_Sticks.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw2ImsBRCnjq70n_amv14SJAChXijNQSbyx2avCTDZT0XVlWJ8q-KzK_5kxj6oYpCSqASwYRoCu6zw_wcB"]http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Liberon_Wax_Filler_Sticks.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw2ImsBRCnjq70n_amv14SJAChXijNQSbyx2avCTDZT0XVlWJ8q-KzK_5kxj6oYpCSqASwYRoCu6zw_wcB[/url]

I'd go with Ikay's advice. I also so happen to have some waxes of various shades. PM your address and I'll send you some. You won't need much.

When you get the wax it's really hard. Roll it round in your hands for a few minutes and the warmth of your hands melts the wax until it's kneedable. You then fill the holes, like you would with plastacine. The wax re-sets and it's all done.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1434651425' post='2801568']
I'd go with Ikay's advice. I also so happen to have some waxes of various shades. PM your address and I'll send you some. You won't need much.

When you get the wax it's really hard. Roll it round in your hands for a few minutes and the warmth of your hands melts the wax until it's kneedable. You then fill the holes, like you would with plastacine. The wax re-sets and it's all done.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the offer :)
I'll PM you.

Those wax sticks from cheap DIY stores (basically wax crayons but in wood shades) are great for touching up basses, I used some on my old Aria (think Foxen has it now) which was absolutely hammered and they worked miracles. You can rub them in with a fingertip and blend different colours, also if you use them on open grained wood it will show through a little so it doesn't look odd. I've filled tuner holes and then matched them afterwards, also handy for removing dot markers when defretting.

Edited by lemmywinks