Why become a member? ×

Bridge grub screws glued in place?

Muppet

New (to me) jazz bass. Vintage BBOT bridge with slot head saddle height screws. I go to set my string height and I find the buggers have been glued in place. Is this madness? Any ideas about how to remove the glue, heat maybe or something else?

steve

Sure it's glue and they're not rusted in? In which case use a little WD40. If they're glued in then depends what glue was used. Acetone (eg. nail varnish remover) will soften superglue so may be worth a try. If you use heat then don't directly use an open flame which might discolour the saddles.

Edited by ikay

Thanks, yes my research suggests that people often glue the screws when they slip, or, as you have done, swap the bridge out completely!

Last night I gently heated the saddles over the gas stove and the glue melted enough for me to turn out the screws. The glue hardened again but brittle so it could be chipped off with a watchmakers screwdriver with no damage to the saddle itself.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1436099418' post='2814891']
Another reason to get a soldering iron.......safer than a gas stove.
[/quote]

In my defence I did try the soldering iron first, but it didn't heat the whole saddle enough to melt all the glue in the screw threads.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1436087930' post='2814775']
I liking the idea of carefully heating the saddle/screw to help dissolve the glue. I've got some old bridge saddles like that which won't budge. I'll give it a very careful try.
[/quote]

Low heat, long nosed pliers and undo the screw if you can whilst held over the heat. Works a treat.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1436111582' post='2815032']
In my defence I did try the soldering iron first, but it didn't heat the whole saddle enough to melt all the glue in the screw threads.
[/quote]
Reckon a 50W temperature controlled iron poked into the screw head should do it, but not all irons are like that. Worth a try though.

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1436170812' post='2815452']
I've occasionally used loktite on fender bridges that 'self adjust' but glue seems rather extreme!
[/quote]
Loktite may be extreme if you use the wrong grade. Nail varnish is Ok, a nice pink color :)

I've heard of people putting nail varnish in there to do the same job. Not sure I'd glue stuff though, and I'd [i]definately[/i] not Loctite® it unless I absolutely, never, unequivocally didn't want it to move again. Ever. :blink:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1436176018' post='2815520']
I've heard of people putting nail varnish in there to do the same job. Not sure I'd glue stuff though, and I'd [i]definately[/i] not Loctite® it unless I absolutely, never, unequivocally didn't want it to move again. Ever. :blink:
[/quote]
Depends on the grade of locktite. (we're talking, nut-lock/stud-lock varieties here, not "Superglue").