Why become a member? ×

MarkBass Little Mark 250 Blackline

40hz

Got this a few days ago as a replacement for my GP12 SMX (recent shoulder problem put paid to heavy gear). Will post a more in depth review later but initial thoughts after 2 gigs in 2 nights (Including getting to play with John Coughlan) are positive!. Great build quality for £215. Used in conjunction with my GK cab it's a neutral but fat sounding head. Very punchy and clear tone. Very easy to modify tone on the fly using the controls with lots of different sounds available. Weighs the square root of bugger all and smells amazing to boot!. Although it doesn't have the 'shove' my Trace did, it is more musical sounding and much easier to quickly find your sound. To finish, it is also VERY loud. Through my GK cab at 4ohms this thing would go toe to toe with my Trace. Even though it's rated at 250w it has more than enough grunt for medium venues without being overly pushed.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1434689586' post='2801797']
It's not normally something covered in amp reviews, so I've got to be the first to ask, what is the amazing smell? :)
[/quote]

That 'new' amp smell! that is made even better by a few hundred watts being run through it :D

I use a GK MBE-II 410, 4 ohm version and 800w power handling. I can honestly say in the two gigs last week (in large venues) it hasn't struggled for volume or have I noticed any form of distortion. Just a very clean, warm sound.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1435047895' post='2804847']
Does anyone know how this compares to the older Italian made LittleMark 250?

Eude
[/quote]

It is my understanding that it is more or less identical. In components and spec. Just using cheaper labour to bring cost down.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1435054500' post='2804918']
It is my understanding that it is more or less identical. In components and spec. Just using cheaper labour to bring cost down.
[/quote]

Excellent, thank you for that.
I used to have the older model and was always very impressed by it.
Considering a rig change at the moment and was looking at going back to a Little LittleMark.

Eude

Really tempted with getting one of these. I am after a back up amp and have a limited budget. Although I use the full 500W of my LH500, this blackline I hope would certainly get me out of trouble in small to mid size gigs if I needed it paired up with my two TC 212 cabs

I've got one. Great wee amp. I can imagine it struggling to keep up with a 2 guitar band setup, but for my needs (through my high sensitive) 2x 10 is more than enough. Sounds great, and hasnt failed me yet! I would recommend it to anyone!

Dont know if I'd class it as a neutral sound though... I think it does have its own character.

Edited by lefrash

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1435075770' post='2805203']
I've got one. Great wee amp. I can imagine it struggling to keep up with a 2 guitar band setup, but for my needs (through my high sensitive) 2x 10 is more than enough. Sounds great, and hasnt failed me yet! I would recommend it to anyone!

Dont know if I'd class it as a neutral sound though... I think it does have its own character.
[/quote]

Interesting stuff, I thought it just amplified the sound of my Modulus with a fair dose of warmth. I didn't notice any frequency bump inherent to the sound myself but then the cab will play a huge part in the sound.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1435079353' post='2805268']
Interesting stuff, I thought it just amplified the sound of my Modulus with a fair dose of warmth. I didn't notice any frequency bump inherent to the sound myself but then the cab will play a huge part in the sound.
[/quote]

Perhaps I'm just used to amps having their own sound.. so when my bass actually sounds like it should I just assume its the amp! haha. Whatever it does, it sounds pretty good to my ears.

Thats fair enough! :lol: One thing I would also add is the build quality of it. Such a nicely finished little thing for £215 notes. Good plastics used, a nice matte finish and solid feeling switches and knobs. Great value.

Updated with a pic. Also to add, last night at rehearsal playing through an Ashdown ABM 4x10 cab, the sound/volume was very powerful with headroom to spare (through an 8ohm so it wasn't even delivering the full whack to the cab!). So I really can't see how this amp could be percieved to be quiet?! I'm chuffed to bits with it, such a fantastic sounding amp that has exceeded my expectations massively.

Edited by 40hz

Good little heads I've just sold mine ,but im getting her big sister too go with my barefaced and ebs cabs but being honest I can see me going all mb in the end they are very powerfull indeed cant wait too get my mb 500 head;-)

Headphone jack? No?

I'm almost ready to pounce on one of these, just need to find a light 2x10 cab to run it through which will get me the max output (under £250). After much to-ing and fro-ing I reckon lightweight separates are the way to go, and at that money I just can't see past the Markbass.