Why become a member? ×

Help the amp with eq pedal?

taha_never

Hi folks. newbie here.
my rumble 60 v1 voice lacks @ around 120-130Hz and is exaggerated @ 800Hz.
preamp knobs are at 50, 330, 1.6k and 8k. even with cutting all of them it still lacks the boom at upper lows (120-130Hz i mean). i suspect that the problem may be the cabinet design.
so i was looking into a Boss GEB-7 eq pedal which has the exact 120 & 800 controls.
i know i can't expect much from a practice amp. but will this eq pedal help recovering those freqs? or there's no way this cab reproduces them? better run it before the preamp or in the fx loop?

current setup: MIM P > rumble60
thanks all

Should work fine, if the controls on the amp itself affect the frequencies selected then I can`t see why a graphic on other frequencies - especially withing the range of the amp - wouldn`t work. It does seem that on many amps now the bass setting is 40 or 50hz - gives a lot of lows but to me not really in the right place. I`d prefer a tad higher as well. Using a graphic is a good way to do it, I read that Bruce Thomas, of Elvis Costello & The Attractions fame used the Boss graphic to get his sound.

These look quite good as well:

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/programmable_eq.php

Edited by Lozz196

My personal thoughts would be, if it's only a small practice amp and it's struggling to produce certain sound frequencies etc., I would put my money into saving towards something bigger with better quality sound production, than putting £20-100 into an EQ to try to fix a problem with something that will struggle to keep up in anything other than a small gig situation. If you're only using the amp for practice then I'd just accept that it's what the amp sounds like and it has certain deficiencies, but you're only using it for practice so that's cool.

Like i say, it's just how I would deal with the situation and I don't mean to insult your gear or come across in a harsh way. I just feel your money would be better put into upgrading to a slightly better quality set up that could handle making the rights sounds in most situations.

@Yawn_blah,

I gess a EQ pedal migth be useful in future situations, so i don´t think it´s a waste of mondey. I would try a budet EQ pedal.
Read a few reviews, and they seem to do the same trick even with less hiss than de boss version.

[url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BEQ700.aspx"]http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BEQ700.aspx[/url]

thank you guys. this morning i bought a used GEB-7 for 40$ which helped that little bit i was expecting it to do. you're absolutely right dear Badderer i don't expect much from this setup but at least i know this (purchasing a budget eq as dear A.G.E.N.T.E. suggested) was the best i could do for my current setup. from now on i'll be saving for a good amp. thank you Lozz196 that's a decent pedal but unfortunately that's not available in my country.
cheers.

• 2 months later...

I had a similar issue when I got my Tecamp PUMA and paired it up with my BF super compacts. Treble control on the amp was out of the range for the cab (no tweeter) so I was lacking top end.

Ended up with the Sansamp Para Driver (similar to the bass driver, but also has a semi-parametric mid control) at the end of my effects chain immediately before the amp. Brought out the top end at just the right point for the cabs.