Why become a member? ×

NBD :: Mike Lull JAXT4

NancyJohnson

• 1 month later...

I may have had it a month, but I haven't had it for a month.

First off, the bass is beautiful, no question. Plays, balances and primarily sounds lovely (most of the time), but on the downside it has an intermittent crackling/interference issue with the bridge pickup.

Sadly the bass has been going backward and forward between my tech and Mark/Bass Direct and I got it back yesterday.

Happy to report it was fine; I gave it a 30 minute workout with no issues, put it on the stand, picked it up a few hours later and the crackle had returned. It was a bit amiss the this morning, but clear tonight.

I've tried the bass through two rigs and different combinations thereof and will monitor things over the weekend (and take a second bass to a studio session in Landaan on Sunday). If it screws up, it goes back again.

I would point out that Mark at Bass Direct has been handling the issue with gusto, so credit to him.

I've been running so many scenarios round in my head you dont know.

Maybe it's our power supply, maybe the wireless router, the rug in the room where my amp is, my phone, the time it happens etc. The problem is intermittent and none of my other guitars are affected.

Irrespective, I'm monitoring things for the next day or two then will report back.

It's flummoxing and very irritating.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1437714820' post='2828397']
I've been running so many scenarios round in my head you dont know.

Maybe it's our power supply, maybe the wireless router, the rug in the room where my amp is, my phone, the time it happens etc. The problem is intermittent and none of my other guitars are affected.

Irrespective, I'm monitoring things for the next day or two then will report back.

It's flummoxing and very irritating.
[/quote]
Has anyone checked the wires under the pickup, maybe there is a dodgy attachment? I've had this issue before. It's annoying because some great techs were looking for dodgy connections everywhere, but just as I was about to give up I discovered it was the wires attached to the pickup itself, your wires may have got displaced when being installed or it may be a weak connection?

If it's that, or something similar, it's usually intermitent because certain vibrations from you playing it, or slightly knocking it, will cause a brief break in a connection.

You may already know all this, but if not focus on how you play next time you look out for it perhaps?

Good luck mate, I know exactly what a wind up this can be!

The bridge pickup has been replaced already.

It's true that techs seem to have this obsession with replicating the problem and troubleshooting it rather than simply pulling out the pots and just starting over!

I'm even thinking that the finish could be contributing somehow...it's a satin/finishing paper in feel. Too much static being generated? We'll see how things go on Sunday...

Played it thus morning and it was fine btw.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1437723484' post='2828438']
The bridge pickup has been replaced already.

It's true that techs seem to have this obsession with replicating the problem and troubleshooting it rather than simply pulling out the pots and just starting over!

I'm even thinking that the finish could be contributing somehow...it's a satin/finishing paper in feel. Too much static being generated? We'll see how things go on Sunday...

Played it thus morning and it was fine btw.
[/quote]

Oh gosh, you said 'static', hope it isn't that minefield mate. I totally agree with pulling it all out and starting over too in situations like this.

Really hoping this works out for you pal.

I think I'm more irritated with the lack of bass more than anything else. I'm a pretty patient bloke, but ultimately I've got a lot of notes invested in the instrument and just want it working correctly. I can't be doing with an instrument that might, or might not, work every time I play it.

Mark at Bass Direct has been great in trying to get this sorted.

OK, so this is where we're at. Bass back, played on two lengthy sessions over the weekend and again this evening for about an hour. Not a crackle, so I'm content for the moment. I've been in contact with Mark at BD and how we've left things is if things start going awry again, the warranty will kick in and it'll be fixed.
P