Why become a member? ×

Hartke Amps?

Skybone

So I was trawling through the local Gumtree, when I spotted an advert for a number of various bass amps for sale.

I emailed them, and was sent quite a long list of amp heads, a few combo's, a few cabs and effects.

There's a few Behringer, Warwick & Peavey heads, but quite a few Hartke heads, such as the HA3000, HA3500, HA4000, HA5000, and an LH1000.

As a long time Geezer fan, I'm tempted by the LH, but the HA3500 looks interesting too.

Has anyone used any of these amps?

Any good for hard/heavy rock?

Cheers.

I've had 2 HA3500's and play another regularly at a jam night.

Massively, stupidly loud, and sound wonderful through a 410 cab

Unloved by many, so cheap to buy. Well worth the small amount of money you need to spend on one

Thanks for the replies, I've asked to go and have a look... we shall see.

Looks like I can get myself a decent rig for about £300, not including any effects/tuners etc (they have a few V-Amp's & rack tuners as well).

"Massively, stupidly loud" sounds good to me! :D

Edited by Skybone

There's a Ha3500 at my bands practice room. It's brilliant. The only way I can describe it is as a very 'strong' amp. Real authorative sound to it.

Edited by 40hz

I have one too for gigging (not that I do much gigging at the moment). Great amp but a little on the heavy side to lug to rehearsals. I use it at home and take a tiny lightweight GK head for practices but it doesn't have the oomph and presence of the HA3 500. Cracking amp for hard and classic rock.

I had the Ha3000 and have now got the LH500. Great sounding and great build quality on both. I like to stick with an amp once i like it and i love the simplicity of the LH500. Thinking of getting a Ha 2500 or 3500 as a back up if i can find one second hand

Oooops. That was a mistake.

For the grand sum of £250, I came away with a Hartke HA4000 head & rack case and a Red Sub 2x10 cab. VERY impressed with the sound from the cab, tried out a Hartke aluminium cone 2x10 as well, and wasn't impressed at all.

Anyway, they didn't have the HA3500 that I wanted, but tried out the HA4000, a HA2000, an LH1000 and a Behringer BX3000 with either the Red Sub or the Hartke cabs. Of the 4 amps, the 4000 sounded the best (all on a flat EQ too), but they said that if another HA3500 turns up in the lockup, they'll let me know and I can try that out with a view to swapping it with the 4000.

Turns out that these guys had bought a job lot from a guy who had been something of a hoarder, sounds like he had at least 2 of everything! He'd then popped his clogs, and the family were clearing things out. They have amps & cabs coming out of their ears! Anyway, was a bit dubious at first, but they came across as straight up, decent guys, so was happy to do a deal with them. Here's the Gumtree link, & mention the guy who bought the Hartke 4000 recommended them.

[url]http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-bass-amplifiers/bass-amplifier-heads-for-sale/1120866091[/url]

It's an American company and design, so it'll be ton... though it was made in Korea, so it might be tonne. :D

Yes, the head weighs a bit (probably more than the cab TBH!), but it sounded really nice last night. Looking forward to playing with the EQ & getting it into the rehearsal room.

We've had an HA3500 for maybe a decade..? It's our 'spare' now, replaced by a hefty Hiwatt 200w PA head, so, to us, the Hartke is 'lightweight'..! All is relative, eh..? A good, solid, workhorse of an amp, well constructed (so robust...), reliable and with wide tonal possibilities. We are simple 'plug and play' minimalists, however, and so don't faff around with eq, pedals, 'dirt' and such; we just play bass through our gear, so we're not best placed to laud all its features The mixable valve/transistor i/p is a good idea, though. Standard, classic rock is how I'd describe it. Can't go far wrong with 'em.

I'm hoping that another 3500 head will turn up when they go through the rest of the horde, quite liked the sound of the 2000 I tried (a close second to the 4000). Wasn't that impressed with the LH1000 funnily enough, stonkingly huge power from it, but the sound seemed a bit 1 dimensional compared to the 4000 & 2000. Managed to have a quick play with the amp today, and had a quick tweak of the EQ. The sound seems bright & lively, only made some really minor tweaks from 12 o'clock/flat, but it all sounds great so far. Much better than any of my old bass amps.

Seriously impressed with the Red Sub cab though. A bit of t'interweb research turns out that it's an "in house" brand for Gear4Music. Nice and light cab, but sounds great to me. :)

The 4000 is quite deceptively loud, We'll see how it fares when we rehearse next!

Edited by Skybone

Little bit concerned about the cab, it's only rated at 250w @ 4 ohm, where the amp kicks out 400w @ 4 ohm.

Trying to get my head around the numbers, and understand the impedance/wattage ratings, but no, still don't get it! :D

If I get another 250w @ 4 ohm cab, that would be a 2 ohm load (get that bit), but would the speaker handling go up to 500w (IIRC it would)?

Would a 2 ohm load damage the amp? Would I still get the 400w+ out of the amp?

OR would it be better to try and find a 400w @ 4 ohm cab?

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1434827917' post='2803182']
Don't worry about wattage, etc. Speakers can handle much higher than stated ratings in short bursts. [/quote]With a few exceptions thay cannot handle even half their rated power before they'll distort, so if you don't push them so hard they they are distorting you'll be nowhere near their power capacity. That's where the volume control comes into play
[quote]You're more likely to cause damage by under-driving a cab.[/quote]That would be fostering the myth of underpowering. There's a reason why it's a myth.

The only damage you'll get by under-powering the speakers in my experience is the damage to your sound when the speakers "crap out" - or when there isn't enough power getting through to them.

Used to hear this a lot when the "blues lawyers" slagged off amp attenuators, making their boutique six strings & valve amps sound like crap. The truth was their attenuators were set so high that they weren't putting enough power to the speakers to drive them properly.

Quite keen to see how it takes to the B3, and see what works/doesn't work. Anyway, really looking forward to putting this rig through its paces at next rehearsal. :)