Why become a member? ×

Lacking top end??

LewisK1975

Hi All - Recently got a Tecamp Puma 500 after my Ashdown ABM evoii developed an issue.

Using it with my 2 Barefaced super compacts isn't quite hitting the mark like the ashdown used to..

The top end is lacking somewhat and I was thinking to put an EQ pedal into the effects loop of the amp to try and drag out some of the frequencies that are (to my ear) missing, as I used to boost a little on the 1.3khz and 2.4khz sliders on the ashdown.

Those frequencies aren't there on the PUMA, Hi-mid is 800hz and then the Hi is 8khz.

Thoughts?

I had this with my Markbass amps - the top-end on those being at 10khz. I used a pre-amp pedal to get the frequencies I was after (1khz and 4khz) and it worked fine. But certainly an equaliser will do the job nicely.

Generally effects loops aren't a good place to put effects. They're still useful to use on amps as preamp out and power amp in or for the rare occasion you're using rackmount line level effects but effects pedals are designed for instrument level so usually work much better between instrument and amp.

Thanks Lozz / Alex. Alex I know you were surprised when I told you I'd gone for the Puma after using an ABM for so long. Although that was more from a fundamental tone difference in the 2 rather than a difference in the EQ section.

Out of interest, what Amp would you have recommended? I did actually consider just getting the new ABM evo iv but as you know I wanted to go lightweight..

Guest bassman7755

I have a puma and the eq is really (IMO) more designed for room compensation than tone shaping, its also one of the few genuinely neutral response bass amps (with everything set in the middle settings) - idea for fronting with decent preamp, not so good as a stand alone bass amp if you dont like such a neutral clean sound.

Other amps you might look at:

GB Shuttle: cleanish meaty sound, great intuitive and useful E.Q

RH450/750: very "rock and roll", very versatile E.Q but not as user friendly as the shuttle.

Or get a cheap preamp type pedal e.g. Behringer BDI21 or zoom MS 60B (for a few more sonic options) to front the puma.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1434741593' post='2802474']
It isn't the AB vs D power stage that's the big difference, it's the preamps. My first choices of lightweight amps which sound more like the ABM would be the MB Fusion, TH500 and (late) Streamliner.
[/quote]

I concur, especially the GK MB Fusion :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1434718901' post='2802147']
I had this with my Markbass amps - the top-end on those being at 10khz. I used a pre-amp pedal to get the frequencies I was after (1khz and 4khz) and it worked fine. But certainly an equaliser will do the job nicely.
[/quote]

Had exactly the same issue with Markbass amps and also used a pre-amp - in this case the excellent BDI-21.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1434877548' post='2803439']
Oh come on my bewtocks are getting cramp sitting here wondering if a BDI21 has done the trick
[/quote]

Lol sorry fella, gig load-in and setup was a bit of a rushed affair on Saturday so didn't get chance to put the BDI21 in. Got 3 gigs this coming weekend though and it'll be in the pedal board ready to go..will report back!!

Well the Behringer BDI21 certainly was a surprise! Did the trick regarding the top end definition beautifully! Would heartily recommend anyone wanting a Sansamp bass driver trying one of these first, they do an admirable job and you can pick em up for pennies!

Having said that I am (by my own admission), a total brand snob when it comes to gear, so now I know that a preamp pedal will do the trick for me, I have invested in a sansamp para driver, should turn up this week!

Edited by LewisK1975

Got the Para driver yesterday - basically the pedal version of the RPM rackmount unit.

Put at the end of my chain after TU3 - EBS Billy sheehan - MXR M87 comp.

Put together at home last night and very happy with the results.

Set the sansamp with treble at 3pm, mid frequency at about 2.5khz, mid level at about 1:30pm, bass 12:00, drive at 11:00, blend set fully to the pedal (full CW), overall level to match volume without pedal engaged.

Really brought out the top end like I'd hoped. Worth noting that it when switched on, it dramatically changes the sound of the EBS sheehan distortion channel. Had to tweak that a little!

Looking forward to gig volume on the weekend now!