Why become a member? ×

playability/strings/setup queries

Funky Dunky

I'm a nightmare, I'm thick but bear with me and help me if you can.

Squier VM PJ. Cheap but I like it. It's light, comfortable and plays alright. But here's the thing.

I think it's setup to Fender spec. I use Dunlop Super Brights 45-105. These are balanced tension. Now, as my playing evolves, I have noticed I like my strings to be tight with very little waggle. The tighter, the better. But the thickness of the string is ideal. Any thicker would be tricky under my fingers. I recently tuned up to F (don't ask) and it played like a dream - just so taut and perfect for plucking.

How do I get this feel, but in Standard tuning? Are there hi-tension strings? (I don't want thicker strings) How should I set it up differently? I want the action as low as possible without buzz. Or should I just take it to a tech, explain my needs to them and pay through the beak for it?

Edited by Funky Dunky

There are strings that are 45-105 or close to those gauges that vary widely in tension, actual and felt (The stiffness under the fingers varies).

I'd say try flats for an instant increase in string stiffness for comparable gauges. If you want to stick with rounds I'd go with similar strings but a slightly bigger gauge (which you specifically said you don't want) - or try different string models & makers. I've found D'Addario XL's fairly taut for light strings (their 95 E feels like some 105 E's). Having not played the Dunlop set you're using as a (pardon the pun) baseline - I don't have a specific recommended stringset to put forward.

Pressure-wound or half-round strings usually have slightly higher tension than regular roundwounds of the same gauge. They are also a bit less bright/zingy than rounds (which you may or may not like).

I'd look around for some hex core rounds, there are other makes available.
Plus you could try the DR DDT strings, they are designed to be tuned down so at regular EADG, they will probably feel like your Dunlops tuned up a semitone...

I don't think flats will give you the sound you like.

Edited by brensabre79

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1434724510' post='2802242']
Thanks guys, I'll maybe give D'Addarios a try. I would give flats a spin but I play a lot of slap and I hear they're not ideal for slap, is that correct?
[/quote]

You are correct, not the ideal choice for slap. :)

At the recent Herts Bass Bash we had a presentation by Andrew of D'Addario. Bluejay will be posting a video of it when someone has improved the sound.

What Andrew told us was that compliance isn't to do with flat or round, but it's down to the core thickness. Thicker cores give less compliance. How you find out the core thickness is of course another matter.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1434775111' post='2802702']
At the recent Herts Bass Bash we had a presentation by Andrew of D'Addario. Bluejay will be posting a video of it when someone has improved the sound.

What Andrew told us was that compliance isn't to do with flat or round, but it's down to the core thickness. Thicker cores give less compliance. How you find out the core thickness is of course another matter.
[/quote]

I would be very interested to see that video.