Smooth Hound Innovations Digital Wireless Guitar System

Dood

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1435496797' post='2809322']
Here's a few different socket types
1. Jazz bass - standard flush front socket
2. Coronado - flush edge socket
3. Telecaster - recessed edge socket
4. Stratocaster - recessed front socket

Two additional photos showing transmitter next to a iPhone 4 (cos I had one lying around)

[url="http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/steve_wilson3/media/Guitars/75FFBB73-A1F4-4275-A331-C17AB245DB8B_zpsny7c2ley.jpg.html"][/url]

[/quote]

and that answers my question perfectly - looks like it's not as good a fit as on some configurations but, given the (lack of) weight, as long as it's not flopping around it looks as though the suction tape will do the job!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1435425716' post='2808710']
So what was the verdict when you tried it dood?
[/quote]

I'm really sorry! I've had a crap weekend of back-to-back work and other BS to deal with so I've not had an opportunity to put the cheeky chap through it's paces. That said, the playing I did do on Friday was actually tons of fun and I found the system behaved well on the 5ms setting. I meant to take it with me to the studio on Thursday, but I had to dash out the door. I will of course report back thoroughly in due course.

My Dingwall AB1 with it's sexy curves does mean that it suffers in the same way as the Jazz pictured where there is little surface for the bug to attach to. I'll probably try the adapter approach too.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435523948' post='2809728']
My Dingwall AB1 with it's sexy curves does mean that it suffers in the same way as the Jazz pictured where there is little surface for the bug to attach to. I'll probably try the adapter approach too.
[/quote]

Yup the angled design which is obviously necessary to fit in to strats and other recessed sockets means that it doesn't sit flat on the body of the Jazz. I was always intending to go down the bodypack route anyway, so it's not a big problem for me.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435524022' post='2809730']
Chris - is it safe to leave the batteries in the transmitter? Will discharge be negligible? Just a question!
[/quote]
Yes, it is safe to leave the batteries in. Discharge in the off state is <10 microamps so the batteries will stay good like that for years.

[quote name='SmoothHoundChris' timestamp='1435565303' post='2809952']
Yes, it is safe to leave the batteries in. Discharge in the off state is <10 microamps so the batteries will stay good like that for years.
[/quote]

Brilliant! That's great news!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1435593745' post='2810376']
Just tried to place an order, and the site is insisting on having my credit card details.

Only I want to use PayPal!

Any advice, Chris?
[/quote]
Hi Jack,
On the 'Buy' page, there's a 'Buy Now' button that takes you straight to PayPal. There's no need to fill out any of the details if you press that button.

BTW, if you do pay direct through our site, we don't ever see your credit card details. That's all handled by our payment gateway - www.paymentsense.co.uk - and is totally secure.
I can only recommend the PayPal button if you like giving PayPal 5% of every transaction ;) but don't tell PayPal that I said that!!

Edited by SmoothHoundChris

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1435603257' post='2810518']
Hi Chris, what are the power supply requirements for the receiver?
[/quote]
Hi Pete,
There's a DC adapter included in the set. The receiver needs 9-12V DC 250mA on a 5.5/2.1mm centre positive DC plug. If you want to use a pedal board centre negative supply, you'll need a polarity converter which are available for a few pounds from [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xpolarity+changer.TRS0&_nkw=polarity+changer&_sacat=0"]ebay[/url].

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1435754350' post='2812119']
Mine just landed on my desk. I'll be trying it out at rehearsal tonight ...
[/quote]

I'm very impressed with mine. I set the cable emulator to 20ft as that sound best to my ears.

steve

Very early report following rehearsal tonight.

The set-up from box to first note took less than three minutes, the instructions were clear & simple, everything worked as intended, there was no need to set the correct gain level or mess around with a squelch control.

As an idiot-proof system it's hard to see how it could be better.

The sound was absolutely clear and introduced no artifacts that I could hear, other than the slight brightness that the instructions warned about. If required, this can be adjusted using the cable emulator mentioned by Muppet, I actually chose to adjust the EQ on the preamp slightly instead.

Using the default settings, there was frankly no evidence that I was using a wireless system. My rig sounded as it always does.

I played a Mike Lull T5 (flats), a Shergold Marathon (flats), and a Fender Precision (rounds and Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounders). Three very different output levels from those basses, no issues at all, no distortion that I could hear. I'll try some active basses when I get a bit more time.

The size and convenience is quite astonishing, both of the transmitter and of the receiver.

If I look hard for things to criticise, the lugs on the battery cover are very flimsy and fragile and I can see one or both snapping off reasonably soon if I don't treat the unit with care. There's also a surprising pop when I hit the Mute on the tuner, which is the only thing between the receiver and the preamp.

I don't know how much power the receiver uses, but the device is so small that it cries out for a slightly larger version with room for a couple of decent batteries. As with pedals, having the option to use a device without needing a power supply makes it that much more attractive.

I'll be gigging with it on Saturday. More later ...

I knocked up a cable from some bits I had around. 750mm with Neutrik male plug and female connector. Does the job.

[URL=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/steve_wilson3/media/Guitars/A3C09845-1F0C-47B5-801E-476AED36142C_zps6bs3xlky.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b578/steve_wilson3/Guitars/A3C09845-1F0C-47B5-801E-476AED36142C_zps6bs3xlky.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1435786941' post='2812543']
I knocked up a cable from some bits I had around. 750mm with Neutrik male plug and female connector.

[/quote]

But now you'll have to set the cable emulator to 18' ...

:lol:

does anyone know if this REALLY uses 250ma? only asking as line6 said something similar but my g30 receiver is running fine on the isolated 150ma output from my gigrig isolator.

but the range on this is making me think of switching over

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1435846701' post='2812991']
does anyone know if this REALLY uses 250ma? only asking as line6 said something similar but my g30 receiver is running fine on the isolated 150ma output from my gigrig isolator.

but the range on this is making me think of switching over
[/quote]

Hi Ant,
Typical current draw for the receiver is 150-160mA. The system might well work fine on your 150mA supply.
Worst case is around 200mA. The difference is mainly caused by the indicator LEDs - if you have full battery on the transmitter, full signal strength but also very high interference, you would reach this current draw but it should be a pretty unusual situation.

If you buy a system and don't like it for any reason, we've got a seven day no quibble return policy where we'll give you a complete refund including return postage.

I took mine out to one of my lessons tonight. I let my student loose on it for a good thrash and it was very good indeed. He loved it!

We did find that unfortunately it wouldn't fit his Ibanez SR as the folding Jack is too big for the front situated sunken socket hole.

I think the system is cool!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1435785330' post='2812521']

I'll be gigging with it on Saturday. More later ...
[/quote]

No I won't.

Managed to break a toe in my right foot last night, so my gigs tonight and tomorrow lunchtime will have to be uber-stripped-down, relying on the rest of the band (supervised by Bluejay of course!) to do the roady duties.

I'll be taking the bare minimum amount of kit, and sitting down right next to my rig, so using wireless will be a bit pointless. :rolleyes: