Why become a member? ×

Interesting fact about Ibanez Premium series neck screws

Woodinblack

There are 4 screws that hold the neck on the SR1605.

Here are some interesting facts:

1. They are not all the same size. The two at the end of the body are longer than the 2 at the end of the neck.

2. If you put the long screw in the short screw hole and did it up very tight, you could in theory put the end of the screw through the front of the fingerboard.

3. The screws on an ibanez are not as strong as the fingerboard!

Course, you would have to be some kind of idiot to find that out..

Anyone know where you get replacement short screws for the neck of an ibanez?

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1435700608' post='2811703']
It is a very good design as long as you pay attention when assembling!
[/quote]

Ah. That would be the issue.
I'd have used two different size screws in length and bore (e.g. an extra 1or 2 mm on the screw shaft or screw head diameter?). I'm sure there's a way to do that.

Probably, but they didn't. They used little black screws that if you looked at them all together you would say were the same sort of screws, similar to fender neck screws but in black without the blank area (same pitch / length / bore). Just two of them are actually shorter.

I would be surprised if the screws are anything 'seriously' special. If they do prove difficult to track down you might want to cut down some regular size neck screws and file / grind a lead in profile. Lucky with the fingerboard :unsure: , makes me wonder is there something solid like a steel insert to prevent that very issue. That would be some engineering forethought.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1435768473' post='2812294']
When I dismantle anything, I try to keep track of which screws came out of which holes. Dunno why, probably OCD or learned by dismantling laptops with their myriad screw sizes.
[/quote]

That is something I've had . . . fun with in the past. Screws that have the same thread and bore, but slightly different lengths, or screws that look the same at a glance but have different threads so get jammed if they get mixed up . . . FUN!